anyone ever put oatmeal in a blonde, pa, or ipa?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boek

Reaction score
Is oatmeal only for stouts and porters? What would it be like in a lighter ale? Why not?

Oatmeal (ideally rolled oats not ground up stuff) adds body and increases the thickness of the mouthfeel. I've used it with very nice effects in a number of recipes (including root beer). My take is that it is not stylistically appropriate for a lighter ale because it should be light bodied, buy hey -- it's your homebrew!

Mikkeller's single hop IPAs are brewed with 11% flaked oats (and also 67% pilsner malt, 11% Cara-Crystal and 11% Munich II). I've brewed an IPA with a similar grist, but I don't take notes, and no longer remember how it turned out. But I don't think I noticed the oatmeal at all, to be honest. Rye malt will also increase thickness and mouthfeel, and is quite popular in IPAs. As with everything, just don't overdo it.

Oatmeal (ideally rolled oats not ground up stuff) adds body and increases the thickness of the mouthfeel. I've used it with very nice effects in a number of recipes (including root beer). My take is that it is not stylistically appropriate for a lighter ale because it should be light bodied, buy hey -- it's your homebrew!

I'm not so sure I agree with that. Many Hefe and Wit recipes call for rolled oats, and even though it increases the thickness, it's the creaminess they're after, and the effect on mouthfeel is incredibly beneficial in light beers.

I've been toying with the idea of an oatmeal cream ale... My cream ale recipe has become a testing ground for a variety of malts & hops... why not other adjuncts.

I've got a Citrus IPA (Amarillo, Citra, Galaxy, Cascade) that i'm going to be adding Oats to. I'm excited to see if the oats leave any flavor, body, and how the mouthfeel is.

I add oats to the vast majority of my beers. One of my most popular was an "irish golden ale" using wyeast 1084, pale malt, vienna, oats, aromatic, c20 and some ginger in the fermenter. It was awesome, and crystal clear.

I just made a "Dirty" blond with some oats and smoked malt. In the primary now, so cant tell you how it turned out just yet. the wort tasted pretty damn good though

I love oatmeal. I do a 4.5abv oatmeal pale with Citra that is amazing. Next up is a red ipa with 10% oatmeal. I am excited for it.

I'm bumping this up. I am mashing an oatmeal pale ale. It's a six pack batch, version 2. This one is going to have bacon bourbon at the end. I did toast the oats (1/2# quick) and 1/2# of 2-row for 30 min @275*. Smells great in here. Depending on how version 1 tastes tonight (fully carbed and chilled), I may ramp it up to a 5 gallon batch Sunday.

i added 8oz of oats to a dipa and noticed the color was more straw-like/cloudy than when i made this same recipe w/out the oats. not a big deal, but i wonder if it will clarify during flocc and cold crash.. ?
as of this writing, it is in primary for 5 days and im dry hopping soon.

beer turned out good. lots of sticky, off white head. lacing is unbelievable. the oatmeal gave it some nice mouthfeel, i think. it's a bit hazy, like i would expect.. a little like Port Mongo but not as cloudy as Heady Topper. tasty too! lots of orange going on, with 10 oz of hops.. mmm, mmm, bitter.

I would like to ask if toasted oats can be used in an all-extract recipe. I've read here that unmalted adjuncts need to be mashed with a base grain in order to utilize the fermentables. Do the oats provide sugars, or just used for flavour, colour, and mouthfeel etc?
thanks

I would like to ask if toasted oats can be used in an all-extract recipe. I've read here that unmalted adjuncts need to be mashed with a base grain in order to utilize the fermentables. Do the oats provide sugars, or just used for flavour, colour, and mouthfeel etc?
thanks
i would think that most of the benefit to the oats would be proteins. that would explain the lacing and the thicker body. i also believe you would have to mash the oats. if you could steep them in the wort at mash temps i don't see why it wouldn't work.

There is nothing beneficial to be had from steeping flaked grains. They must be mashed. Even toasted.

That said, if you can steep, you can mash. Mashing is nothing more than steeping in less liquor than you're used to. :) You can even mash in your extract kettle with the BIAB method (search for it here on HBT). It's easy, fun, and will really let you access a much wider variety of recipes and styles.

Cheers!

Bob

Thanks for the comments, and apologies if I come across as obtuse :)

Can the toasted oats be mashed on their own without any base grains?? Will there be any conversion, or just flavour and feel aspects? Just curious. I believe that the lme, having already been boiled by the manufacturer, is not capable of converting anything....
I have one more Coopers kit to use up, and do plan on moving to BIAB over the winter.

Thanks for the comments, and apologies if I come across as obtuse :)

Can the toasted oats be mashed on their own without any base grains?? Will there be any conversion, or just flavour and feel aspects? Just curious. I believe that the lme, having already been boiled by the manufacturer, is not capable of converting anything....
I have one more Coopers kit to use up, and do plan on moving to BIAB over the winter.
you would have to do oat malt for that.

this talks about some of these questions.
http://www.thebrewingnetwork.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=&t=27346

basically, you'd have to use oat malt and all oat beers are a bit funky according to one guy that tried it. he said it's like too much cream in your oatmeal.

a blend with golden promise or maris otter would be good (or both).

Can the toasted oats be mashed on their own without any base grains?? Will there be any conversion, or just flavour and feel aspects?

No. That's what I wrote. ;) In order for there to be conversion, there must be enzymes. Flaked grains have no enzymes at all, though the flaking process liberates their goodness so that enzymes in a proper mash can make use of them.

Steeping flaked grains will net you nothing but a sticky, amorphous glop. Maybe a tiny bit of flavor in the case of toasted oats, but certainly nothing else useful. Avoid it. :)

Just curious. I believe that the lme, having already been boiled by the manufacturer, is not capable of converting anything....

Correct.

have one more Coopers kit to use up, and do plan on moving to BIAB over the winter.

If I were you, I'd brew up the Coopers kit then save the oats idea until you can BIAB. You'll be astounded how easy it is!

:mug:

Bob

Thanks, again, for the info. I appreciate it very much. Looking forward to starting my first BIAB batch, and continually moving ahead in the learning process. It is pretty neat to brew and then enjoy your OWN beer :)

Latest posts

Back