Anyone ever make "hop water"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the Brulosophy recipe but added some wine tannis and substituted Citric Acid for the lactic acid since I did not have lactic. We found some hoplark in the grocery store and I was surprised how similar they were in flavor.

The hop water definitely needs a week or two to mellow out but is extremely refreshing.

Have you tried using whirlpool hops instead and compare the keg hop/whirlpool recipes? I'd be curious to see what the differences are. The amount of hops used in 10 grams per gallon is a bit less than the Brulosophy recipe.

Have you tried using whirlpool hops instead and compare the keg hop/whirlpool recipes? I'd be curious to see what the differences are. The amount of hops used in 10 grams per gallon is a bit less than the Brulosophy recipe.

I have not yet. I love how quick I can throw it together without heating up water. It would be interesting to hear if someone has done a comparison between the methods but I would assume it may be comparing apples to oranges.

I have not yet. I love how quick I can throw it together without heating up water. It would be interesting to hear if someone has done a comparison between the methods but I would assume it may be comparing apples to oranges.

Me too! Mainly because the amount of hops in the whirlpool hop water are less. I do like the quicker "brew" day with the Brulosophy recipe though so it's essentially an even trade off for me

Before I got rid of my kegerator, I used to fill a keg with 180⁰+ water and drop in a nylon hop bag tied to a string. By closing the keg immediately, the water stayed hot long enough for isomerization, but the evaporated oils couldn't escape. I would also add a little low carb monkfruit sweetener.

Once the keg cooled to room temperature, I would pull the hops out by the string and force carb.

Easy.

Before I got rid of my kegerator, I used to fill a keg with 180⁰+ water and drop in a nylon hop bag tied to a string. By closing the keg immediately, the water stayed hot long enough for isomerization, but the evaporated oils couldn't escape. I would also add a little low carb monkfruit sweetener.

Once the keg cooled to room temperature, I would pull the hops out by the string and force carb.

Easy.

You know that's actually a really good idea! Could just use one of those keg hop tubes for that. Now my question is did you have issues with a "vacuum" forming in the keg as this cooled?

Coming back to this. It's been 6 days and this is much more palatable. The carbonation is right where it needs to be and it is holding. This has definitely helped as a beer replacement for a bit. Would definitely consider making a keg or two of this every once in awhile. It's dirt cheap, or in my case free, so it's worth it! This is not something I went into and said...Whoa this is can't have stuff! It's been a developed palate for sure. Can say I wouldn't go out of the way for this but since it's there it's nice. 10 grams of hops per liter was definitely the right call here. Any less and it'd just be La Croix ;)

I have been quite happy with how mine turned out (a 2.5 gal batch with 1 oz of Azacca hops steeped at 180F). After about a week in the keg, the green grass types of character faded, and now I just get a nice subtle hop character.

I am thinking of trying to bottle condition some. The motivation would be 1) that maybe the small amount of fermentation would impart a touch of beer character and 2) it would be interesting to have a variety of different hop combos around. So I might do them a 12 pack at a time. I would probably use a little DME (with some yeast). I have some concerns that this might introduce some food safety concerns, similar to NA and Low Alcohol beers. It might also mean the "water" will be in the 0.5% ABV range. In the Clawhammer video, they bottled using carb drops.

I have been quite happy with how mine turned out (a 2.5 gal batch with 1 oz of Azacca hops steeped at 180F). After about a week in the keg, the green grass types of character faded, and now I just get a nice subtle hop character.

I am thinking of trying to bottle condition some. The motivation would be 1) that maybe the small amount of fermentation would impart a touch of beer character and 2) it would be interesting to have a variety of different hop combos around. So I might do them a 12 pack at a time. I would probably use a little DME (with some yeast). I have some concerns that this might introduce some food safety concerns, similar to NA and Low Alcohol beers. It might also mean the "water" will be in the 0.5% ABV range. In the Clawhammer video, they bottled using carb drops.

Can't have alcohol for two weeks. Short of it is there's bi-annual normal check ups with the doc. They say to stay dry for two weeks before labs so they can keep an eye on liver enzymes. They know I'm a homebrewer and enjoy the hobby so they just keep an eye on them to make sure we can fix it if it starts getting out of whack. So far so good! Will most likely make 2 kegs next bi-annual checkup. This one will be gone by the weekend I'm afraid lol

Next go around I'll probably do another keg of Mosaic and then play with Mosaic/Nelson that was mentioned in a previous post. This definitely has to sit in the keg for at least 5 days for the "crud" to settle out and flavors to mesh.

I'm making the brulosophy version of this right now. I'm using 1/3 each of cascade, Chinook, and centennial (some hops I had around) for a total of 4.2 oz
I slightly upped the lactic acid to 3ml as the brulosophy post had advised increasing it.
I haven't brewed since early last summer, so I had to clean kegs, the space, basically everything lol.
I am putting the hops in a SS mesh tube and was planning to leave them in there as I carb
Is there absolutely a need to remove them?
Happy Saturday, y'all!

I removed mine since they were in a bag that I assumed would block the dip tube. I have left dry hops in a keg for the life of it to no ill effect. I would say give it a try.
Same with a few IPAs I've made but in the back of my mind I wondered if the "vegetal" taste that many describe would be more pronounced in just treated water. (I've never picked up on this vegetal taste tbh)
Also I was gonna throw this directly into kegerator, but would it better to dry hop and room temp for a few days first?

I had a grueling double batch "brew day" today! I made up two batches of hop water.

The first one was following the same process as my last batch. Basically steeping 1 oz of hops for 20 minutes in 1 gallon of treated 180F water, then topping up a 2.5 gallon keg. The only real change was I used Amarillo hops instead of Azacca, and I used Citric Acid to adjust my pH vs Phosphoric Acid.

The second batch was closer to the Brulosophy approach. I basically topped up a 2.5 gallon keg with treated water and added 2 oz of Amarillo hops. The hops are in a hop sack that is suspended from the lid of the keg, with a few marbles in the hop sack. I just added cool tap water, and then moved the keg into my beer fridge to chill and carbonate.

I am curious how these will compare. I still want to try bottle conditioning a batch, with either sugar or DME and some yeast.

I made one last week. Four ounces of European hops (opal and aramis) in five gallons of water. No mineral or acid additions like the brulosophy recipe but I didn't want to make something that tasted like beer so much as a flavored water. Came out exactly as expected. I can't help but think beer when I taste hops so I thought going with more gentle European hops would give it more of a lager feel which it did.

I just made a 1.25 gallon batch today. I followed the Brulosophy recipe for mineral/acid additions, but steeped 28g of Azacca at 160 for 10 minutes. Will be interesting to see how it turns out.

I did the Brulosophy recipe a couple months ago. It was fine. I tried it side by side with the Lagunitas hop water and the Lagunitas was definitely better. Mine had a harsher "edge" to it from the hops, not sure how to smooth that out. The Lagunitas was more smooth and more floral as well.

I followed Brulosophy's mineral additions, but I did not adjust pH. I'm doubt making it acidic would help the harshness I was perceiving.

If I do it again, I definitely need to smooth it out (maybe a touch more gypsum?) and reassess the hop bill -- probably will use a little less and try to get some "lighter" / more floral hops in there. Probably will carbonate a touch higher as well. I was getting a ton of foam that stuck around at first, which made it difficult to pour, even with a 25ft line, but that seemed to subside after a week or so. But it definitely was holding a more beer-like head in comparison to plain seltzer or soda.

I did the Brulosophy recipe a couple months ago. It was fine. I tried it side by side with the Lagunitas hop water and the Lagunitas was definitely better. Mine had a harsher "edge" to it from the hops, not sure how to smooth that out. The Lagunitas was more smooth and more floral as well.

I followed Brulosophy's mineral additions, but I did not adjust pH. I'm doubt making it acidic would help the harshness I was perceiving.

If I do it again, I definitely need to smooth it out (maybe a touch more gypsum?) and reassess the hop bill -- probably will use a little less and try to get some "lighter" / more floral hops in there. Probably will carbonate a touch higher as well. I was getting a ton of foam that stuck around at first, which made it difficult to pour, even with a 25ft line, but that seemed to subside after a week or so. But it definitely was holding a more beer-like head in comparison to plain seltzer or soda.
If yours already had a large edge to it, the last thing you want to do is add gypsum as that will accentuate hop bitterness and make it sharper. You would want to reduce gypsum and have more calcium chloride if you want a softer, juicier hop presence.

I had a grueling double batch "brew day" today! I made up two batches of hop water.

I put together a video on my two batches. My basic approach is explained in my prior post (both were 2.5 gallon batches; one batch with 1 oz Amarillo hops steeped at 180F, and one batch with 2 oz Amarillo hops added directly to the keg).

I find that I enjoy the combined flavor of these two batches so I mostly fill a glass 50/50 from each keg. In the future I will probably combine both steeping hops and adding them to the keg. For a 5 gallon batch, 2 oz steeped and 3 oz in the keg feels about right.

Last time I was brewing I dropped one small hop pellet into 8 oz of hot water, maybe 160 F. Stirred and let it sit until it cooled to room temp. It was unpalatably bitter. A couple tablespoons of that added to a pint of club soda was pretty good though.
One hop from one of my arcadian plants was enough for a mug of hop tea. A small hop. I originally did a few and it was way too bitter.

Welp I’m making hop water now. The kettles are currently whirlpooling the following for a 5 gallon batch

23.6 grams Simcoe pellet
26.4 grams Mosaic pellet
23 grams Amarillo whole cone

This was more or less a freezer clean out hop water. 10 grams per gallon wasn’t strong enough for my tastes so wanted something a bit stronger. This will DEFINITELY need some cold conditioning. May end up keeping hop water in the rotation since it’s just hops and water ;)

Latest posts

Back