Anyone ever have Half Acre Vallejo?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ismellweird

Reaction score
I just had a buddy bring me some Half Acre Vallejo. He got it at the brewery I think in Michigan. Drove back with a trunk load of their beers. This was maybe 6 months back and he gave them all away and whatnot, I thought there was no chance I'd be able to try it. So we are in his car and we get a flat tire. We unload the spare tire from the trunk and our jaws dropped. There was a 4 pack that had fallen in there under the carpeting. I'm having one now to celebrate. It's unusual for an IPA. Malty, which I like, and the hops are very very mellow. I taste maybe onion and a spice that reminds me of pie, I think clothes. Just a well crafted beer. If anyone else has had it I would welcome your thoughts while I think about when to have my next one.

is_mell_weird?

Oh hell yeah! Aged IPAs are way better than fresh, especially if they go through a ton of hot/cold swings.

Don’t try it fresh though, you probably won’t like it. [emoji41][emoji106]

/s

:ban:

I’ve had it fresh at the Brewery (on the north side of Chicago, on Lincoln) on a visit last summer. I liked it, but it didn’t knock my socks off. Lots going on, maybe too much.

In general Half Acre is worth seeking out. Daisy Cuter and the pils (I forget the name) are very good.

Oh hell yeah! Aged IPAs are way better than fresh, especially if they go through a ton of hot/cold swings.

Don’t try it fresh though, you probably won’t like it. [emoji41][emoji106]

/s

I haven't thought to age them but it makes sense.

Totally! Gets rid of all those pesky hop flavors.

I've noticed that. I've tried a friends home brew and the taste is overwhelming. It was like drinking a christmas tree. Then we try it many months later and it's very mellow. I liked it better. Is this a new trend or something commercial breweries are already experimenting with? If nobody has tried it yet I'd like to throw my hat in the ring and be the guinea pig, I can make a batch and age it and see if I can sell it over the other stuff. Maybe they'll say "aged ipa is the new fad" soon and we can say it was born right here? I had a similar discovery regarding a cupcake stout. I seem to always be stumbling on things.

As with all things, trends are cyclical. The original British IPAs were heavily hopped, then left to age in barrels on ships. Maybe it’s time to bring that back? I’d say you’re way ahead of the curve. Keep experimenting. Maybe combine your two ideas? Pastry IPAs? Not that milkshake stuff, but straight up chocolate hazelnut Simcoe maple waffle cascade, double dry hopped then aged in brandy barrels.

Please send any royalties my way.

As with all things, trends are cyclical. The original British IPAs were heavily hopped, then left to age in barrels on ships. Maybe it’s time to bring that back? I’d say you’re way ahead of the curve. Keep experimenting. Maybe combine your two ideas? Pastry IPAs? Not that milkshake stuff, but straight up chocolate hazelnut Simcoe maple waffle cascade, double dry hopped then aged in brandy barrels.

Please send any royalties my way.

HAHAHA!

Back