anyone else not thrilled with notty?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wickman6

Reaction score
I decided to pick up some Nottingham a few months back, lhbs was out of my go to us-05. I've fermented several batches with it and I'm not all that impressed. I get this funny subtle flavor from it that I can only describe as super fresh water. Almost chlorinated, but not quite. I've brewed as usual, and these beers were all repeat recipes. Fermentation was kept at around 65 degrees for each beer. Nothing else has changed in my process.

I think I'll be using us-05 again, and from now on.

Not bad beers, just better with safale I think.

Oh, it also seems to take longer for the beer to not be so green too. I'm on a schedule after all! :ban:

Anyone else not really care for Nottingham?

I like notty quite a bit in the lower range (55-63ish) but haven't felt comfortable using since back in April because of the warm weather. To me, it has a profile I like in my "clean" beers whereas chico can be too neutral at times. It's an awesome winter strain for putting your fermenter in the garage with a blanket wrapped around it :D, and some decent lager-like results when kept really cool 55-57F.

I'm another "Notty at cooler temps" fan. It's quite nice if you pitch/start it at 56-58*F, let it go a few days and then slowly bring it up to finish at 66*F.

Was 65*F your beer temp or air temp?

I wouldn't ever call Notty and 05 interchangeable. They're two completely different yeasts. Notty will have an English character to it which might be what you're trying to describe. 05 is just super neutral and clean. If you were looking for a replacement for out of stock 05 there are 5 or 6 strains I would've suggested before Notty...

I wouldn't ever call Notty and 05 interchangeable. They're two completely different yeasts. Notty will have an English character to it which might be what you're trying to describe. 05 is just super neutral and clean. If you were looking for a replacement for out of stock 05 there are 5 or 6 strains I would've suggested before Notty...

Can you suggest some of the subs? I will have to try Notty again at under 60°F as I wasn't too keen on it but I think I was topping it out base on the responses.

White Labs 001 California Ale
White Labs 090 San Diego Super

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 1332 Northwestern

Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast
Mangrove Jack M72? Workhorse

That's just a quick list off the top of my head. I'm sure I could add a few more if I dug deep in my brain or googled for 5 minutes. I work at a LHBS as my day job so I've got a pretty good feel for yeast strains. Especially clean strains cause all people wanna make it seems is big obnoxious IPAs and IIPAs...

I use Notty at about 59F. I've had some very good results, and a few I wasn't super happy with. Generally I keep it around as an emergency yeast in case my starter fails.

White Labs 001 California Ale
White Labs 090 San Diego Super

Wyeast 1056 American Ale
Wyeast 1332 Northwestern

Mangrove Jack M44 West Coast
Mangrove Jack M72? Workhorse

That's just a quick list off the top of my head. I'm sure I could add a few more if I dug deep in my brain or googled for 5 minutes. I work at a LHBS as my day job so I've got a pretty good feel for yeast strains. Especially clean strains cause all people wanna make it seems is big obnoxious IPAs and IIPAs...

WL001 and Wyeast1056 are a straight sub strain wise but for someone that is using dry yeast might not be practical to suggest a more expensive liquid yeast that they would then have to either buy more of, or make a starter.
Typically for dry yeast it has been a Fermentis / Danstar game, and as far as my limited knowledge of yeast Notty was Danstar's "clean" ale yeast.
With Mangove Jack the new kid on the block (last few months) there now seems to be a more direct dry sub for US05 which is good.

Back