Anyone else not buy retail beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agree with most here that buying retail has been drastically reduced. I still buy beers when visiting new breweries (travel a lot for work). Something about having a beer I can't get locally makes me feel special [emoji849]
Otherwise it's one of the 3 taps I have going. I need to get/make a beer gun so I can bottle some of my own off of kegs. That would help increase the variety on hand too.

I usually keep standard styles of beer on tap and we will buy seasonal beers that we don't want a keg or two around. When life gets in the way and pipeline gets too low my wife will buy commercial beer. Recently I had a "well duh" moment and realized that if my tap runs out we don't need to buy bottles of beer, I can get a 1/6 keg at the store and put something else on tap to hold us over. I guess it was too obvious for me to think of before.

I buy retail beer all the time to keep up with references. If I didn't sample references left and right I guess I'd be brewing some pretty lame beers which are supposed to be within a certain style. But I prefer them from tap, but not everything I'm seeking is available on tap when I "need" it.

I'll admit it...I bought a case of commercial beer,
BUT my defense isn't that I enjoy commercial beer of my own... Rather it's a means of buying reusable bottles that come full of beer.;)

I always have some Bud Light easy drinkers on hand for when I'm not in the mood for a heavier homebrew. That's about all I buy. I'd like to buy more quality beer to try them out but at $15 a 4 pack I'm way to cheap. For $30 I can have 4 cases of homebrew

OP here. Still buy very little if any retail beer. I probably average about $5/mo on retail beer. Basically a 6 pack every other month. It's probably less than that as it really is fairly rare in my house. Prices are too high for me and I like my beer so it works out.

Back