Anybody use the "no-name" stainless steel kettles from AIH/have any recommendations?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dsaavedra

Reaction score
I'm referring to this one: https://www.homebrewing.org/10-Gallon-2-Weld-Volume-Marked-Brew-Pot_p_6827.html

I'm in the market for a new brew kettle; my Bayou Classic has rust on the inside from where I did the DIY volume etching trick w/ a battery - disappointing! I saw that AIH is having a sale where you can earn bonus points, I already have a bunch of points so I figured it would be cool to get more while I'm at it. But I wonder about the quality of these "no-name" kettles. One review says it rusted around the welds. That would be a deal breaker for me as that's the reason I'm buying a new pot in the first place!

So, anybody have any experience with these? I'm also open to other suggestions as well. My criteria for a new kettle are:
  • At least 10 gal capacity
  • Volume markings stamped/etched
  • Port for ball valve (bonus is ball valve included!) - port for thermometer is not as important to me
  • Affordable (anywhere in the $100-$150 range give or take)

I have two of those, one 8 gal, one 10 gal. Mine don't have the volume markings but are the same otherwise. I bought them from AIH about 4 years ago and have done between 40-50 brews with them. Both still look like new.

Did you try Bar Keepers Friend on the rust marks? I etched my Bayou Classic Kettle and have had no issues.

When the oxidized layer is removed from stainless it will rust. Bar Keeper’s Friend will fix your issue. Costs about $3 at Lowe’s or Home Depot. But if you want to upgrade pots, don’t let rust in a review dissuade you, for the same reason.

I bought this very same one about 3 months ago. I use in my BIAB setup. The internal markings are not accurate, about 1/4 of a gallon off, on the one I have. First 3 or 4 batches I used a ruler to get my volume bearings, and now I just use a marked 2 quart pitcher to do my filling. It DOES hold heat very well during mash steps. (Indoor brewing) I haven't noticed any rust around the welds and today and Saturday will be batches 12 and 13 with it. I ordered it with the ball valve and thermometer as a kit, and no problems with the threads for either thermometer or ball valve. Overall, I rate it a pretty decent buy, it works for me.

I also etched markings in my bayou 44qt and so far no rust. +1 for barkeeper's friend, it's the best way to care for stainless steel. If you buy this pot and start to see any rust, address it at once with BKF and a good scouring, rinse well and allow to air dry. It will be good as new and the rust shouldn't reoccur. New SS can be sketchy, but once you've brewed with it for a while it will stabilize and you won't have any problems. Oh, and never use bleach to clean or disinfect stainless, it will cause pitting.

Back