Anybody try warming a keg up to finish fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badbrew

Reaction score
My carbed up and chilled keg is not quite done fermenting. I figure it's at about 1.017 after adjusting the hydrometer because it seems off by a couple of points. So I probably still have about 5 to 7 points left. It tastes unfinished as well. So would warming it to 70 for a week be advised at this point? Or just leave it alone in the keezer?

if there is still sugar to eat, and enough active yeast, it will continue to ferment.

you might get some off flavors, the same as you would from under-pitching initially, or from stressing the yeast like that. you should also lower the pressure in the keg so that the yeast can finish. if the keg pressure is 10psi when 35 degrees, it will be 30-40psi when it warms up to 65 and off-gasses...

I think I'll warm it up and maybe pitch 5g of some cheap yeast. When I'm done with it, I can use my spunding valve and drop it to 20 or so. I guess it couldn't hurt much. The beer is just too malty to drink now.

I'll be the one to ask: Why did you keg and carb a beer that wasn't remotely ready?

Just because Budweiser brags about going from pitching to 'on the shelf' in 5 days... doesn't make it 'right'.

I'll be the one to ask: Why did you keg and carb a beer that wasn't remotely ready?

Just because Budweiser brags about going from pitching to 'on the shelf' in 5 days... doesn't make it 'right'.

I fermented for 2 weeks and then primed for 12 days, followed by chilling for 8 days. My problem is most likely the lower temps. I bet if the priming occurred it higher than 60-63 then it would be done. I know leaving in the carboy another week or two would have worked too. This is the only beer that I have made in recent times that hasn't properly finished. Ironically, it is also the first batch of an experiment that I am doing to find a simple go to beer that doesn't require messing with.

Latest posts

Back