Anybody ever used rum with their recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKFreak

Reaction score
I searched the database but got no hits, so I'm curious. Anybody experimented with rum in a beer recipe? I've done a couple of bourbon ales (Hell, I'm a KY boy...we put bourbon in everything!) but wondered if anybody had tried using either domestic, imported, or spiced rum in a recipe. Anyone? Beuler? :rockin:

Only time I used it was to soak vanilla beans for a coconut porter and then poured the liquid in too. Did not really taste it as it was less than a cup.

I did a 'Carribean Pirate Stout' which started as a pretty basic chocolate stout recipe. I soaked a few ounces of toasted of oak cubes, a vanilla bean and a half pound of home-shredded and toasted coconut in a full bottle (750ml) of Sailor Jerry's Rum for a few weeks. I then strained the solids out of the rum and added the liquid at bottling. It's a great beer but the rum itself is almost undetectable.

I did a 'Carribean Pirate Stout' which started as a pretty basic chocolate stout recipe. I soaked a few ounces of toasted of oak cubes, a vanilla bean and a half pound of home-shredded and toasted coconut in a full bottle (750ml) of Sailer Jerry's Rum for a few weeks. I then strained the solids out of the rum and added the liquid at bottling. It's a great beer but the rum itself is almost undetectable.

Recipe? PM this would be an awesome winter warmer!

Recipe? PM this would be an awesome winter warmer!

I noticed I was incorrect on the amount of coconut in my original reply when I looked at my brew notes, it was actually a pound.

this is for a 5.5 gallon recipe at 82% efficiency
OG: 1.062
FG: 1.022

8 Lbs Maris Otter
1 Lb Chocolate Malt
1 Lb C75
8 oz Roasted Barley

Mashed at 156 for 45 min (or longer if needed for full conversion)

19 IBU's of Crystal Hops (60min)
8oz Lactose added any time in the boil
4 oz cocoa powder (10 min)

Fermented about 2weeks @60F with Nottingham but any clean profile yeast should be similar

at least 6 weeks before bottling, shred 1LB fresh coconut and toast until golden, steep in 750 ml rum with 1 vanilla bean (split) in a sealed container (mason jar, etc). After 4 weeks remove coconut and lightly squeeze remaining rum, discard coconut. Allow coconut residue to settle and strain through coffee filter. Age over 1-1/2oz french oak cubes 2 additional weeks, strain (approx 500 ml should remain). Add this mixture (along with priming sugar) at bottling.
Mix should add approximately 1% ABV

Search Lady Rumkin (or is it Rumpkin?)... Its a recipe (not mine) that is a pumpkin ale with a bunch (relative term) of rum in it. Lady Rumpkin

There one on this forum called pirate strong ale. Has rum soaked french oak, cinnamon, vanilla bean, and pineapple. Im going to brew this for my birthday next month but sounds like a grrat recipe.

I searched the database but got no hits, so I'm curious. Anybody experimented with rum in a beer recipe? I've done a couple of bourbon ales (Hell, I'm a KY boy...we put bourbon in everything!) but wondered if anybody had tried using either domestic, imported, or spiced rum in a recipe. Anyone? Beuler? :rockin:

Hi,
I never tried my own recipes.
But i know good recipes site.:rockin:
http://www.alcoholdrinkrecipes.net/

I just brewed a jubelale clone and plan on adding some rum, vanilla beans, and nutmeg at bottling. Kind of an eggnog theme. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Back