Anybody else hate NEIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't like many of the commercial ones, but so far my renditions have been pretty good. I like to keep mine at 40-50IBU and hazy but not muddy. This is after two weeks primary and 1 week in a keg at 34 degrees. The haze is NOT yeast in suspension as I used Voss Kviek which floccs very well.

Attachments

• 20190425_181648.jpg
    20190425_181648.jpg
    458.6 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
^^^ missed that^^^
Been gone awhile.....guess I'm not the only one
There was a few others in the same camp as yourself. Your not the only one. Really when you think about it nothing different than back when the bitter flavorless IPAs came out. Most didn't like them, then there all the rage, now there back to being unpopular apperently. I'm sure they will come back eventually. Cheers

Last edited:
Honestly, a lot of the ones I have had would not meet the BJCP style guidelines, as broad as they are for this style. I have had some that were orange juice in flavor and mouthfeel, and I'm not sure that I could have told you if it were beer or pulpless juice.

The other thing that is really popular (at least in Maryland) is the backsweetened, fruit juiced sours that are probably mostly not-beer, but people line up for hours during can releases.....I don't get it. It might taste good, and it might have some barley in it, but there is very little beer in it in my opinion. I don't care, if that's what people like....I just think it needs a new category. Cider isn't beer, it's cider. Graf isn't really beer. Why these are still beer is beyond me.

Everyone should be thanking this style for the amount of quality late hopped and canned Pale Ale's on the market right now.

I'll admit I don't like all this orange juice and creamsicle nonsense but the popularity of this sub-style has made commercial brewers all over the place care about interesting hop flavors and freshness again.

I'll take that kind of collateral damage all day long...

Honestly, a lot of the ones I have had would not meet the BJCP style guidelines, as broad as they are for this style. I have had some that were orange juice in flavor and mouthfeel, and I'm not sure that I could have told you if it were beer or pulpless juice.

The other thing that is really popular (at least in Maryland) is the backsweetened, fruit juiced sours that are probably mostly not-beer, but people line up for hours during can releases.....I don't get it. It might taste good, and it might have some barley in it, but there is very little beer in it in my opinion. I don't care, if that's what people like....I just think it needs a new category. Cider isn't beer, it's cider. Graf isn't really beer. Why these are still beer is beyond me.
Yup that's the taste of **hops** that haven't had all the flavor boiled off. Maybe try to find one using more piny hops if you don't prefer the more popular fruit one's? Cheers

Yup that's the taste of **hops** that haven't had all the flavor boiled off. Maybe try to find one using more piny hops if you don't prefer the more popular fruit one's? Cheers

I’m am fully aware, as a home brewer and IPA lover - but what I am talking about is the ‘thick’ mouthfeel and sweetness, not simply the citrus (which I enjoy and brew beers with a lot of citrus aroma and flavor- but am not seeking to emulate orange juice)

The other thing that is really popular (at least in Maryland) is the backsweetened, fruit juiced sours that are probably mostly not-beer, but people line up for hours during can releases.....I don't get it. It might taste good, and it might have some barley in it, but there is very little beer in it in my opinion.

People love my juiced sours... but I add no more than 1 quart to the finished beer. Still 7-8%. Something I tried that worked well was I did a brut sour that fermented down to 1.002. Once I added a little bit of organic tart cherry juice it was still no higher than 1.010. I like the idea of using glucoamylase on my sours, so juice doesn't make it not beer.

I love them to be honest. Ive just recently had my first one that had that NEIPA mouthfeel and I have kind of become obsessed with the mouthfeel. I even really like the milkshake ipas with the lactose and vanilla.

Everyone has their styles that they hate though. I can't stand barleywines myself. I find them to be nasty

Could this thread just be merged with the other ridiculous one that won’t die?

I really like them but don't care if there "hazy" or what level of hazy they are.

If I wanted a thick swampy orange juice I'd buy some Tropicana extra pulp and leave it in the fridge 6 months till it was half evaperated.

I like Ipa's but NE is just not real beer...save the juice for the kids lunchbox
You owe Naggy for using the term "real beer(tm)." He trademarked that first. Please share what exactly is real beer.

If I wanted a thick swampy orange juice I'd buy some Tropicana extra pulp and leave it in the fridge 6 months till it was half evaperated.

I like Ipa's but NE is just not real beer...save the juice for the kids lunchbox

Read this, immediately went to make popcorn and watch the fireworks.

Next time open up with something like “IPAs suck and CNN has the best news coverage”. That will definitely up the post count.

Not jumping on the bandwagon either. I'm still waiting for the NWIPA (pronounced new-wipe-ahhh) fad. I'd be way ahead of the game because no matter what I do, every IPA I make is in the northwest.

I’m am fully aware, as a home brewer and IPA lover - but what I am talking about is the ‘thick’ mouthfeel and sweetness, not simply the citrus (which I enjoy and brew beers with a lot of citrus aroma and flavor- but am not seeking to emulate orange juice)

If it's sweet, it's probably a milkshake IPA....not the same thing. A NEIPA isn't sweet.

I have to admit - while I am amazed at the level of flavor that can be obtained with the NEIPA - my interest is fading. It is just too much. Lately I have had the most fantastic variety - Saisons, Cream ales, Blondes, Kolsch - what have you. There is so much out there that is just refreshing and easy to drink and I can get for under $5.00 a piece. Just losing any desire for NEIPA's.

Drink what you like, see if I care.

Haha. I think what bugs me the most is the entire hype around them. People wait in line and waaaay over pay for these beers which is probably why there's such a backlash whenever someone says anything negative about NEIPA's. It also sucks how cloudy and turbid beer is now OK even if it's not a hazy or NEIPA. I also don't like all the sub categories NEIPA seem to have created... Milkshake IPA's taste awful and I don't even understand why hazy IPAs needed to be a thing. Plus just at about the same time, you saw 12+% pastry stouts and Berliner Weisse's with a million pounds of fruit get popular too... The whole thing just seemed like an easy way for subpar breweries to buy a little more time before they had to close their doors because they cannot make more traditional style beers without off-flavors. But, with that said, the market sort of dictates what breweries make so even if I owned a brewery at this point in time I'd have to grin and bare it all the way to the bank and brew a beer I don't really like. Alas, life is rough.

Now, while I'm at it, get off my lawn!!

Drink what you like, see if I care.

Haha. I think what bugs me the most is the entire hype around them. People wait in line and waaaay over pay for these beers which is probably why there's such a backlash whenever someone says anything negative about NEIPA's. It also sucks how cloudy and turbid beer is now OK even if it's not a hazy or NEIPA. I also don't like all the sub categories NEIPA seem to have created... Milkshake IPA's taste awful and I don't even understand why hazy IPAs needed to be a thing. Plus just at about the same time, you saw 12+% pastry stouts and Berliner Weisse's with a million pounds of fruit get popular too... The whole thing just seemed like an easy way for subpar breweries to buy a little more time before they had to close their doors because they cannot make more traditional style beers without off-flavors. But, with that said, the market sort of dictates what breweries make so even if I owned a brewery at this point in time I'd have to grin and bare it all the way to the bank and brew a beer I don't really like. Alas, life is rough.

Now, while I'm at it, get off my lawn!!

Big stouts have been around much longer than the NEIPAs. Dark lord was first released in....2004? for example.

Big stouts have been around much longer than the NEIPAs. Dark lord was first released in....2004? for example.
You're correct but I'm not talking about just big stouts- The super sweet super high abv ones with vanilla, lactose, fruit juice, etc.. are the ones I'm referring to.

Give me a big RIS any day...

Does anyone else hate these "Does anyone else hate..." threads?

Though many people provide entertainment with their militant comments...

I can't stand.... no... I HATE curry. I can't get NEAR an Indian restaurant without getting queasy. Yet curry spice is very popular with many people.
This is my own unique nose and taste buds talking.
Should I blast away on the foodie forums? Should I fortify my camp and gain support with my opinion? Should I try my best to convince others that curry sucks?
Let's get a grip....

You're correct but I'm not talking about just big stouts- The super sweet super high abv ones with vanilla, lactose, fruit juice, etc.. are the ones I'm referring to.

Give me a big RIS any day...

What about coffee stouts, maple stouts, vanilla stouts...are those OK in your mind? I'm not a fan of lactose in stouts, but I'm fine with a 13% stout that finishes at 1.040 and has vanilla or cocoa nibs....especially if it's got residual bourbon flavor from barrel aging. Some of those are incredibly well-crafted beers.

There's always going to be some jackhole putting twinkies in a stout with lactose and hot peppers or something, but those extremes are the minority in my experience. They're generally not the ones that get the rave reviews either.

What about coffee stouts, maple stouts, vanilla stouts...are those OK in your mind? I'm not a fan of lactose in stouts, but I'm fine with a 13% stout that finishes at 1.040 and has vanilla or cocoa nibs....especially if it's got residual bourbon flavor from barrel aging. Some of those are incredibly well-crafted beers.

There's always going to be some jackhole putting twinkies in a stout with lactose and hot peppers or something, but those extremes are the minority in my experience. They're generally not the ones that get the rave reviews either.

I don't mind coffee stouts because they're not usually crazy sweet finishing at 1.040 if they just have coffee in them. Even maple beers attenuate out, usually. Around here there are several very popular breweries that pretty much only brew NEIPA's, huge sweet stouts, and massive fruit addition low abv beers/sours and they're all the rave. I can't go anywhere, to a bar or someone's house, without someone pushing a pint of muck in face and telling me how great it is. I just don't get it but luckily I can brew what I like and don't have to buy just what's available.

I'm all for how these beers progressed the craft and the industry but I'm looking forward to what is supposedly the new trend. Pilsners. I just hope they don't "NEIPA" them too much...

I myself like them. But I also like IPA's (not hop bombs). I've brewed a few with some success. Most recent included citra/azacca/el dorado and used OYL052 (Conan). The first week in the keg it was pretty hazy. Now it's getting clear, which is good with me. I can care less about the haze.

Most of the local breweries have at least one NEIPA and they only last a week or so then it's gone. So they are constantly rotated with new versions.
I guess if we gonna hate, then I'll have on stouts, porters and sours. Have found one I like.

Though many people provide entertainment with their militant comments...

I can't stand.... no... I HATE curry. I can't get NEAR an Indian restaurant without getting queasy. Yet curry spice is very popular with many people.
This is my own unique nose and taste buds talking.
Should I blast away on the foodie forums? Should I fortify my camp and gain support with my opinion? Should I try my best to convince others that curry sucks?
Let's get a grip....

A similar argument could be made to you that if you aren't interested in these kinds of conversations, then don't click on the thread and reply.

It's a beer forum. People are allowed to have discussions about things they don't like just as much as things they do. It's not a big deal.

Perhaps the OP will read through the posts and opinions and give this certain beer style a second try and find a new love in their life, or perhaps it will help affirm their own opinion. Or somewhere in the middle. Who knows, it's a forum where people discuss things.

Perhaps the OP will read through the posts and opinions and give this certain beer style a second try and find a new love in their life, or perhaps it will help affirm their own opinion.

FWIW, I keep trying to give the OJ "beers" a fair shake but most I've tried just confirm by objections. I have to personally deny the OJ "beers", and their milky offshoots, from association with the IPA category.

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN :)

FWIW, I keep trying to give the OJ "beers" a fair shake but most I've tried just confirm by objections. I have to personally deny the OJ "beers", and their milky offshoots, from association with the IPA category.

MAKE IPA CLEAR AGAIN :)

Don't drink "OJ beers". Drink NEIPAs...no OJ, great hop flavor. If you don't like the flavor of hops and malt...well, beer isn't for everyone. You could shop in the wine cooler aisle....

Don't drink "OJ beers". Drink NEIPAs...no OJ, great hop flavor. If you don't like the flavor of hops and malt...well, beer isn't for everyone. You could shop in the wine cooler aisle....
You would think NEIPAs would be appealing to the wine cooler people and people that don't the taste of beer.

Back