Any women homebrewers on here? POC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I'd love to here from you!! I'm a (white) woman who just brewed her first beer (rye pale ale). Also if you're in the Boston area let me know. I'm frustrated with the lack of diversity in craft brewing and I'd like to do something about it.....just don't know what right now lol :mug:

There's a few on here. I know that 2 of the most visible were together at a brew gathering in Mass. this weekend.

Personally, I find there to be a immense amount of diversity in craft brewing; American ales, English Ales, Belgian Ales German Lagers, dark beers, fruit beers, sours, hard cider, mead, wines..

There is something for everyone!

Geeze, if there was any more diversity my head would explode! Welcome to the site (white) woman.
Maybe it's racial diversity that you find lacking? We welcome all people to homebrewing, even those without beards...

I'd love to here from you!! I'm a (white) woman who just brewed her first beer (rye pale ale). Also if you're in the Boston area let me know. I'm frustrated with the lack of diversity in craft brewing and I'd like to do something about it.....just don't know what right now lol :mug:

Now you have my interest piqued. I don't want to derail your thread but I am curious about what is frustrating you specifically?

Geeze, if there was any more diversity my head would explode! Welcome to the site (white) woman.
Maybe it's racial diversity that you find lacking? We welcome all people to homebrewing, even those without beards...

I couldn't grow a beard to save my life :(

If you want diversity, I'm a half Inuk living in Canada's Arctic.

Why does it matter that you're white?

One of the local homebrew clubs started a small splinter group (that has been opened up to other area clubs) specifically for women in brewing. They hold a lot of events.

I think women in brewing have become a lot more common, but it's still mostly a white male game for sure. Around here, there's some non-white folks, but not many, and this is one of the most diverse areas in the country so that's still not particularly impressive.

Although I did think it was awesome that a few years ago the Homebrewer of the Year award went to a female POC.

I live in Central America and know (Hispanic) male homebrewers does that help? No (Hispanic) women ones though.

Brew in panties on the balcony,youll attract just about everyone:D

There are quite a few women homebrewers around here. Aside from a few that use "girl" names (like @melana ) most don't really announce their gender.

I just spent the weekend in Boston with an awesome brew club. My host (also a female) took me to Strange Brew so she could pick up some supplies. We brewed on Saturday at a friend's, but it turns out that due to technical difficulties, we only made warm water. :D

Stop in and say "hi" to the Massholes: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=230117
and
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=538618 The Masstoberfest party is over, as it was on Saturday in the lovely Autumn weather, but if that doesn't scare you off, I don't know what will. :D

Seriously, welcome to the forum and look around and you'll see that we're all pretty nice around here and we'll be happy to help you with any brewing questions you have and can probably point you to a local homebrew club or two.

One of the local homebrew clubs started a small splinter group (that has been opened up to other area clubs) specifically for women in brewing. They hold a lot of events.

I think women in brewing have become a lot more common, but it's still mostly a white male game for sure. Around here, there's some non-white folks, but not many, and this is one of the most diverse areas in the country so that's still not particularly impressive.

Although I did think it was awesome that a few years ago the Homebrewer of the Year award went to a female POC.
That's so great! Do you know her name?

That's so great! Do you know her name?

The person who won homebrewer of the year a couple of years ago? Annie Johnson, a wonderful African-American female. If that is what you meant. But some of us are white. And some are not.

I'm white, but I can brew dark beer. And Annie is dark, but she can brew the world's best American light lager.

Our gender doesn't brew, and neither do our skin colors.

It's cool we want to encourage diversity (the AHA Governing Committee has a Diversity Committee, to encourage it), but let's not forget that we are all brewers.

I have been treated extremely well by other brewers, male and female, and of other races. We are all brewers. I go to conferences with 5,000 men and I'm just another brewer. That's why many of us don't put an obvious "gender" name on this site- it's not needed. It's nice to get support where you want it, and if an all-female brew club would be a good thing, that's something to pursue but I would never want that for myself. I don't want to be a good female brewer- I want to be a good brewer.

Ah yes I just looked her up -- she seems so cool. I'm new to homebrewing but I worked at a big craft brewery in New England for a little while and it disheartened me that almost all my colleagues were white guys, as well as a vast majority of our clientele. Maybe it's a bit more diverse with the homebrew community so I'll have to do some more research. Thanks again.

Ah yes I just looked her up -- she seems so cool. I'm new to homebrewing but I worked at a big craft brewery in New England for a little while and it disheartened me that almost all my colleagues were white guys, as well as a vast majority of our clientele. Maybe it's a bit more diverse with the homebrew community so I'll have to do some more research. Thanks again.

I'm confused by how hyper focused on race you seem to be.

I think it depends where you are. I just spent a weekend in New England, and I didn't see a whole lot of people of color in general in the places I went, let alone in craft beer places. Sure, there were a few, but it's not like 50% of the population was non-white. I saw mostly middle aged white heterosexuals in Cape Cod, as an example. If the population of people of color is larger, there will be more POC in the shops and bars as well. Right before I went to New England, I spent a few days in Milwaukee. It was an evenly mixed group of people in the places I went, more or less.

Not brewing anything other than Kombucha atm but definitely on my way to my first home made beer... and definitely female... and to add to your diversity search... immigrant from the old world ... lawful permanent resident, not a citizen yet.

oh and... I know a lot of females who just don't care about beer/don't like the taste ... I have been doing a lot of stuff that is considered basically male stuff like construction work or wood work or forging/smithery. I like to be able to repair my stuff myself and I like to be able to change my tires without having to ask for help - I love the aisles in Lowes or Homedepot more than I care for clothes.... but I totally respect that other people don't care about stuff like that and rely on a handyman, their partner or whoever to do it...

some things are just the way they are... it is not that women are excluded from brewing - it seems more like they are not as interested as men are, which is perfectly fine imo.

Rather than just getting into a whole debate on race theory (which obviously belongs in the debate section), I find it odd and unfortunate that despite the fact that historically women have brewed as much as men, and just about every culture in every continent of every skin color makes/has made fermented beverages, homebrewing is so overwhelmingly white and male.

That's not saying there's anything wrong with current homebrewers (because obviously there isn't). But more of a question of how do we get others involved in homebrewing who currently aren't.

POC.Never heard that before.What ever happened to good ol' black and white.Politically correctness is nauseating.Its to the point where anything will upset somebody somewhere somehow.If I just robbed someone and was running down the street somehow I don't think the cop would report "we are in pursuit of an Irish American".And I would be perfectly ok with that.
That being said,everyone should homebrew.I think its cool this forum has people in India where homebrew is illegal,and many other places around the world of all ethnicities

peel off our skin and we're just meat popcicles. and at that point, gender doesn't matter. I hear vinegar dulls the pain.

POC.Never heard that before.What ever happened to good ol' black and white.Politically correctness is nauseating.Its to the point where anything will upset somebody somewhere somehow.If I just robbed someone and was running down the street somehow I don't think the cop would report "we are in pursuit of an Irish American".And I would be perfectly ok with that.
That being said,everyone should homebrew.I think its cool this forum has people in India where homebrew is illegal,and many other places around the world of all ethnicities

Well, there is black, and white, and then brown... and then other brown... and the third kind of brown which is somehow different than the other kind but looks a lot the same... and then there's yellow but we aren't supposed to say that anymore... and another brown...

:D
shy.gif
:eek:

I am married to a non white woman that don't brew. Is the diverse enough?

No! you have to force your wife to brew!
Come on people, what happened to stoning and other capital punishment for insubordinant, non-obedient wives?

Pansies! all of you! ... seriously...

on a side note: I don't get what makes my interest in beer special just because I am female... guess I am missing he whole point of the thread... sort of.

No! you have to force your wife to brew!

Come on people, what happened to stoning and other capital punishment for insubordinant, non-obedient wives?

Pansies! all of you! ... seriously...

on a side note: I don't get what makes my interest in beer special just because I am female... guess I am missing he whole point of the thread... sort of.

Most of us live in America, where beating women is looked down upon :/

FWIW the Oregon Brew Crew has an African American female president and 3 of the officers are women. There is a local all female brewers homebrew competition, and typically 10-15 women of all colors at most monthly meetings along with the obligatory 40 middle aged white guys.

Most of us live in America, where beating women is looked down upon :/

That's a shame... although we would not be talking "beer" if we were in a country where stoning/beating/oppressing women was "law of the land"

hope it is clear that I wasn't serious.

That's a shame... although we would not be talking "beer" if we were in a country where stoning/beating/oppressing women was "law of the land"

hope it is clear that I wasn't serious.

Haha true. Yes, I figured. I just have a very dry sense of humor and delivery.

Haha true. Yes, I figured. I just have a very dry sense of humor and delivery.

LOL!

language barrier! I thought that you were not serious either but than this tiny doubt showed up... woman, don't try to be sarcastic in a language you do not conduct to well :)

:) all good!
Got it right BEFORE doubting myself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back