Any way to fix a slightly undercarbed bottled beer thats been in the fridge for months

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powerpunk5000

Reaction score
I made a reallt good imperial pumpkin IPA months ago prob 6+ and every time I try one I'm just slightly disappointed because they are slightly under carbonated and I can just see the potential if it was carbed at the right level! But as a result they are just sitting in my fridge not getting drank lol

Just spit-balling here, but wouldn't they be a little more carbed if you let them warm a bit before opening?

I was thinking about keg pressure charts. You adjust your regulator pressure based on serving temp. In your case, the warmer the beer, the larger the volume of CO2. So, if you let your beer warm a few degrees, you would have more head pressure, and therefore a higher rate of carbonation?

I have never tried it, but it sounds feasible.

Warming the beer up won’t make it more carbonated, you will just lose it faster when you open it.

I undercarbonated a beer I made and aged the bottles for 9 months before I found out. I ended up figuring out how much priming sugar I needed and then dissolving it in a measured amount of water as well as some dry yeast, opened each bottle, used a baby oral syringe to measure the correct amount into each bottle, then recapped. It was close enough and turned out fine. I left the bottles in a plastic tote to carbonate, then wore mittens and glasses when I opened the first one in case it blew up in my face from over carbonation to be safe though. After the first wasn’t a gusher I figured (correctly) that the rest were safe.

Warming the beer up won’t make it more carbonated, you will just lose it faster when you open it.

I undercarbonated a beer I made and aged the bottles for 9 months before I found out. I ended up figuring out how much priming sugar I needed and then dissolving it in a measured amount of water as well as some dry yeast, opened each bottle, used a baby oral syringe to measure the correct amount into each bottle, then recapped. It was close enough and turned out fine. I left the bottles in a plastic tote to carbonate, then wore mittens and glasses when I opened the first one in case it blew up in my face from over carbonation to be safe though. After the first wasn’t a gusher I figured (correctly) that the rest were safe.

Do you recall how much longer you let them carbonate before drinking them? Did you experience any oxidation over time?

how'd u figure out how much to add to each bottle

Sorry I missed the responses.

I knew how much sugar I put in because I wrote it down and I knew how much I should have put in using a priming calculator. I under-primed it originally because I used the wrong beer temp.

I let them sit for 3 weeks and they were fine.

I didn’t notice any oxidation but it wasn’t a hop forward beer either.

Latest posts

Back