Any painters out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramdough

Reaction score
All

I have a bunch of pallet racks that I plan to use for my brewery/shop. The vertical parts are blue and the horizontal parts are orange. All parts have some rust on them.

My plan was to assemble them, then pressure wash any loose materials off, then spray with rustoleum rusty
Metal primer, then black paint.

I was thinking of getting an automotive sprayer, but I am wondering if I should get a detail sprayer instead. Most parts are thin and have multiple faces on them so I was worried that a full size automotive sprayer may waste a lot of paint.

Advice would be appreciated. I plan to buy a sprayer next week.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Are you that sure of your layout that you want to paint them in position? Most brew rigs seem to get re-configured from time to time. The paint will also sort of lock them into place. If you do move them, once you get them loose you will have odd patches of blue and orange to repaint. I would paint them laying out on sawhorses, or at least some scrap wood, then assemble them.

Are you wanting to get a spray gun for other reasons? If you were looking for an excuse to add to your collection, great. I bought a cheap one that was such a pain to work with that I gave it away. I then bought a Binks HVLP gun that is a pleasure to use, once I get the viscosity and the settings right. It requires a proper cleanup, of course. I use it when I am trying to get a really nice smooth on furniture, another hobby. I haven't painted professionally in decades. However, for something that is already rusty and just going into the brewery or shop, If you don't have a ton of these, I would just use a decent brush. Nearly 100% transfer efficiency, no overspray, no respirator, easy cleanup, or only ~$12 gone if I just don't want to bother cleaning it.

I have a bunch of it. It would take weeks to hand paint it. I am stalling 8 bays. I do want a sprayer for other reasons. There are some shelves that can only go in one location so I am not so worried about reconfiguring. I guess what would make the most sense would be to assemble the uprights and the minimum number of horizontal parts. Paint everything standing. Then hang the remaining horizontals and paint them.

I found an hvlp 3 sprayer set from northern tool that has decent reviews. I am wondering if the touch up sprayer would be the best choice or the full size one.

What do you think? I was concerned that a larger sprayer would fan out so much that I would loose too much paint into the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

When you are going to spray them lay them out very close together and in the same orientation. Then when you spray from the sides the overspray is covering the next part. if all parts are laid out on some long pieces of round bar or angle iron you can flip all pieces and paint the other side.
You won't waste much paint that way and it will be done in no time:mug:

Latest posts

Back