Any other collar ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giono2

Reaction score
A good part of me understands that the reason most people use the wood collar on their freezer conversion is because it is a simple readily available method. Another part of me wonders what other methods of collar construction might exist. I'm looking to put a collar on my freezer, but am less than impressed with the standard wood collar. I would love to hear everybody's thoughts on alternative materials/methods.

If you look at my gallery, I made a dual-wall collar and shot the middle full of construction foam.
2113-img_1294.jpg

[Then I had to buy longer shanks, because the old ones were 1/2 inch short.]

I've thought about getting a small chest freezer, building a collar, but then covering the entire sides of the freezer with a nice, hardwood-veneer plywood that I would stain up to look nice. Or, use wainscoating (which would probably look better). Have not done anything yet, jsyt idle thoughts for when I can build the bar in the next house.

You need to be careful about cover the freezer. There needs to be air circulating around the freezer as it generates a TON of heat.

I was wondering why nobody has made their own TOP for the kegerator, taller, and maybe split so you can open one half and leave the other half shut. You could even do it not much taller and use a tower on top of one of the halfs, and maybe make it so you never open the half with the tower on it (put it on the side with the "hump". I guess the whole magnetic/rubber seal thing is the reason this hasn't been done. Would need to find a source for that stuff.

There wouldn't be much of a benefit to making your own top. Opening half wouldn't save much of the cold air because it wants to stay down in there anyway. Not to mention the stock lid is a nice dense block of foam already which is what you'd repeat on a DIY anyway.

Just thinking it'd be a ready-to-go bar if you had a very large chest freezer and you made one side of it the dispensing side with taps on a tower. Room for cornies and bottled beers inside. Probably too much work for what you'd get, though, as mentioned.

Not to hijack, but how are you guys attaching the wood to the freezer?

LouT said:
I was wondering why nobody has made their own TOP for the kegerator, taller, and maybe split so you can open one half and leave the other half shut. You could even do it not much taller and use a tower on top of one of the halfs, and maybe make it so you never open the half with the tower on it (put it on the side with the "hump". I guess the whole magnetic/rubber seal thing is the reason this hasn't been done. Would need to find a source for that stuff.

Actually, i did exactly that! the original lid was a giant pile of poo that got thrown out. I have about a 5' wide lide, then a 19" fixed portion that has a custom built box with 5 taps on it. Since the box is on top of the fixed portion, i didn't raise any of the lid. The lid is attached with two door hinges that are just screwed into the back of the freezer (I could move some plastic and look in the wall to find the freon lines) and there is a 2" piece of foamboard glued to the bottom of it.

I really like it and if gives a nice place for a drip tray with drain. It drains in to a milk jug inside the fridge, which, since it is cold, doesn't grow much nasties (an addition of sanitizer to it after emptying goes a long way)

I don't have any pics at the moment (i'm at work) but i'll see if i can dig some up

Shockerengr said:
Actually, i did exactly that! the original lid was a giant pile of poo that got thrown out. I have about a 5' wide lide, then a 19" fixed portion that has a custom built box with 5 taps on it. Since the box is on top of the fixed portion, i didn't raise any of the lid. The lid is attached with two door hinges that are just screwed into the back of the freezer (I could move some plastic and look in the wall to find the freon lines) and there is a 2" piece of foamboard glued to the bottom of it.

I really like it and if gives a nice place for a drip tray with drain. It drains in to a milk jug inside the fridge, which, since it is cold, doesn't grow much nasties (an addition of sanitizer to it after emptying goes a long way)

I don't have any pics at the moment (i'm at work) but i'll see if i can dig some up

You can't post something like that without pics? Where are the pics?!? We gotta have pics!!!

Lil' Sparky said:
You can't post something like that without pics? Where are the pics?!? We gotta have pics!!!

I agree fully - need photos - sounds cool!

Lil' Sparky said:
sorry, been getting swamped at work lately

I'll try and get some up tonight

Back