Any one have experience with super kleer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meadmaker101

Reaction score
Im currently finishing up a gallon batch of orange and honey mead. Im using a fining agent kieselsol. It comes in a sealed clear package with a another agent which is called chritason (I think that's what is called or something close to that). Well when I took out the kieselsol from package and poured it into a small cup to make it easier to pour into the mead. I was trying to only add about 1/8 of the agent but it poured out to quickly and half it went into the mead. :-( so after that mishap I just used the correct amount of the christon agent (1/8 of package) which I was a lot more careful of how much was going into it. Now after 24hr it's all cleared up and looks good no sediment floating around but it has an odd taste to it. But when the mead hits your taste buds it tastes great but it leaves odd flavor. Which I assume it's from putting too much of the kieselsol into the mead.

I'm hoping maybe someone may know how to fix this issue of the odd after taste. I just hope the batch isn't ruin.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Home Brew mobile app

1395154272865.jpg

The super klear is fine. I have used it for a three galeon batch with no problem. ( Not a one galleon batch, but it should be fine) I find meads give me a funny or odd after taste. It takes some getting used to. I say let it set a month or so and try it agin. Have you made a mead before?

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Oh ok....I'll see what happens if I let it sit for a couple more weeks. I made mead before but it had an odd taste before like this one has. It's like a bitter taste that sticks to the back of your throat and the back of your toung. But I have a few pictures of the mead.

1395222045116.jpg

1395222065213.jpg

1395222085782.jpg

1395222101788.jpg

1395222112491.jpg

The bitter taste may be from the orange pith. It does that. Usually you try not to include it when fermenting.
The odd aftertaste of mead mellows with age. Age at least a year. Younger the that and I have found the taste distintive. After 18 months to two years it is not noticable.
Make wine to drink now. Mead to age:) Beer for instant gratification.

Sent from my iPod touch using Home Brew

Thank you for the tips everyone. This why I like this forum ever one is willing to help one another....I was thinking of taking the skull bottle and let it age for a while like you mentioned. Then take one glass flask and age that for 6 month's then age the other flask for 3 months. So I can taste difference between the aging process.

Back