Any need to cold crash a beer I plan to age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTexBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Tripel and a Dubbel that are almost finished primary fermentation. Both of them will be for drinking this fall and winter. The Dubbel recipe recommends cold crashing at 34deg for 7 days before bottling. Then they recommend cellaring the bottles for 6 months.

It seems to me that if I'm cellaring the beer for 6 months it will have plenty of time to clear. The beers will be kept at a temperature of 63 deg. for cellaring.

The Tripel used WLP 550
The Dubbel used Wyeast 1214

Is there an advantage to doing the cold crashing or can I skip this step?

The cold crash will result in less bottle sediment I would think???

Can't imagine a huge difference skipping the cold crash if the beer is reasonably clear now?

Are you going to bulk age and then bottle or age in bottles? If you were planning to bottle and then age, maybe I'd cold crash it first

I would age in bottles. Here is the other thing. The Dubbel will be Christmas presents for friends and family so I want to make sure everything goes well, especially carbonation. If I cold crash, then I would be more inclined to add fresh yeast at bottling. So is there that much of a difference to have suspended yeast now from the fermentation or to cold crash and add fresh yeast at bottling.

I personally feel that unless you get into freezing temps, you will still have enough yeast to carb. You could always just lengthen your primary if you are worried about sediment

Latest posts

Back