Any Idea What's Eating My Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Polkahero

Reaction score
Noticed a few days ago the tips missing on some of my Hallertau bines. Now there are leaves chewed off but none at the ground level so it isn't an animal (rabbit,etc.) doing the damage. I live in Michigan, lot of rain lately. I've been using Garden Guard, but every time it rains it washes off. Last couple of days have been high winds which blows the dust off as well. Didn't touch my first-year Fuggels that recently sprouted. Once the tip is chewed off, that bine is pretty much done for, correct? They were doing so well this year!:(

Okay I've attached pictures showing the damage. Top picture are the Hallertau, bottom are my Centennials which are being wind whipped. Should I cut the bines that have been affected and let new growth take over? Any idea what bug might be doing this? The white specks you see is the Garden Guard I've been applying.

HallertauTops.jpg

CentennialWindWhipped.jpg

What height off the ground did the chewing start? What animals nearby are about that tall? I would leave the plant alone and see what happens. I lost a few tips last year to caterpillars and the plant filled out sideways instead of getting taller. Also, it might just send up new shoots considering those have been chomped.

What height off the ground did the chewing start? What animals nearby are about that tall? I would leave the plant alone and see what happens. I lost a few tips last year to caterpillars and the plant filled out sideways instead of getting taller. Also, it might just send up new shoots considering those have been chomped.

The main bine was up to six feet when the tip got chewed off. The others made it to about four feet. No animals around that tall other than deer, but I would have noticed hoof marks in the ground as its been wet.

Back