Any Experience with Vintner's Harvest SN9, CL23 or CL17?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Briatta

Reaction score
So the boyfriend wants me to do a plain (traditional) mead using some 'berry' honey that he bought. We have 12 lbs of honey for 5 gallons. He said the label at the store (god forbid they put it on the honey jar) said it was either a blackberry, marionberry, raspberry honey or a blackberry, marionberry, loganberry honey. He can't remember which. He wants it to be semi-sweet and around 11%-12%. Back sweetening is no big deal. Figure we can pick up some blackberry honey for that if needed. We aren't adding anything else to the honey flavor-wise. It's just going to be honey, water, yeast and nutrients. All my research on here came up with a fairly overwhelming majority of "votes" for Lalvin D-47, however the last time I was at my LHBS I noticed they also have a brand of yeast called Vintner's Harvest. After researching them, I narrowed it down to SN9, CL23 and CY17 as possibilities. Someone mentioned that CL23 was the equivalent of EC-1118. If that's true I probably won't use it. I also read that CY17 was equal to D47. If that's true is there a reason to use one brand over the other if they are supposed to be equivalent? Has anyone had any experience with these that could share their thoughts?

I've never used Sn9 for mead but a meadmaker at my lhbs swears by it. I have used it for wine, with very good results. It clears up very nice in just weeks after fermentation. I will be using it on my next mead as I've just made one with D-47, just to do a side by side.

Back