Any commercial beers that use Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiredofbuyingbeer

Reaction score
Is Notty exclusively used by homebrewers, or are there any commercial beers that use it?

Relatedly, anyone know its history? Whence was it cultured?

Lots do here, for example

Williams Bros
Traquair House

Danstar mentioned it's a single culture from a multistrain yeast, no idea of the original source though. The biggest nottinghamshire breweries I can think of are/were Hardy&Hansons and Shipstones. However the name might be unrelated - see some of the naming of the WL liquid cultures don't make any sense

Beware Nottingham yeast is a aggressive beast that does make great beer. just keep it cool say 62 - 65. :mug:

Everytime i drink a beer with notty i get heartburn. Does anyone know why?

OK, so Meantime, William Bros, and Traquair House. Were these breweries using Nottingham for a long time, or did they pick up Nottingham after it had become popular among homebrewers?

I'm just trying to figure out if this yeast has a history outside of its popularity among homebrewers. Which is a cool history in itself, but I wonder how far back it goes. I have some idea of the sourcing of a lot of other kinds of yeast: Chico, Whitbread, Conan, Pacman. But what about humble Nottingham?

It was cultured from older British yeasts. I use it for RIS and it's a beast during active primary. One the colder side it's relatively clean. A little warmer and I get a little fruit notes. I've been mixing it with Thames valley from wyeast for my last few batches of stout. I like Thames flavor profile better but not many yeasts can rip through a 1.130 wort like Notty can. Just make sure you have lots of head space or expect to loose some wort to blowoff.

Back