Any Big Green Eggers Here?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StLouBrew

Reaction score
I would think that the kind of fanaticism that goes into home brewing would align very well with the kind of cult like appreciation us Big Green Eggers have for that craft. Although I have to say, since I’ve gotten involved in home brewing, my BGE game has suffered a bit.

Anyway, a great day for me is doing ribs low and slow on the BGE while I’m also boiling up my next batch of brew. Looking forward to many of those days once the weather gets a bit more cooperative.

Cheers :mug:

I'm not, but I kind of wish I had one, it at least one like it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Home Brew mobile app

I've been egging since the early 'aughts. Bought a DigiQ temperature controller and my usage really started to ramp up with slow-cooking pork shoulders and briskets. I'm now building an electric BIAB kettle using a PID for temp control -- a lot of the same concepts at work in both endeavors.

I've been egging since the early 'aughts. Bought a DigiQ temperature controller and my usage really started to ramp up with slow-cooking pork shoulders and briskets. I'm now building an electric BIAB kettle using a PID for temp control -- a lot of the same concepts at work in both endeavors.

Nice to hear from you Woodbrews. I've got the DigiQ too and have done several overnight cooks... I've got the pork shoulder down, but still working on getting a consistently good brisket cook.

For the forseeable future i think I'm going to stick to extract brewing. I've researched BIAB a bit and it looks interesting. But I'm already pushing it with the Mrs. with what I've invested so far... basic equipment, Blichmann burneer, kegerator, kegs, etc.

Anyway, here's to great BBQ and beer :mug:

Brisket is tricky. My biggest problem with it is that it cooks too fast. I'm getting better at it, but it takes practice and good note-taking, so that you don't repeat the same mistakes. I've been much more diligent with keeping records of my brewing than of my egging, but I need to start recording what works and what doesn't with the Egg. The good news is that it has a large margin of error and I've never really botched anything to the point of inedibility (is that a word?) on the Egg.

If you're kegging, you've already made a substantial investment that will pay for itself many times over. Incrementally, moving to all-grain BIAB isn't that much of a hurdle. I went with electric BIAB because I wanted to continue to brew inside and wanted to work on a fun project with my Dad, a retired electrical engineer. I'm still building it (thread here), but it's coming together nicely. This hobby is chock-full of DIY projects - so far I've modified a kettle, built and electric controller, built a pump-operated keg washer, and modified a refrigerator into a kegerator. Projects waiting in the wings are a fermentation temperature controller, stir plate, and hop trellis for growing our own hops. Fun!

I green egg all the time. AmazingRibs.com is an excellent resource for all things meat. Through it, I have made the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere. The only thing I don't use it for yet is pizza. I have had some come out perfectly, but not consistently. But the ribs... oh lordy.

I green egg all the time. AmazingRibs.com is an excellent resource for all things meat. Through it, I have made the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere. The only thing I don't use it for yet is pizza. I have had some come out perfectly, but not consistently. But the ribs... oh lordy.

Ribs are one of my favorite things to do on the Egg. I do the "Carwash Mike" method.. love it. The local Sam's store here sells USDA Prime filets. I've got a technique down for them that I wouldn't trade for any steak at Morton's or Ruth's Chris. I tried tackling pizza - was not a success. The dough was too thin and I had problems with burning, sticking, etc... but that wasn't the Egg.. that was the cook

This will be my first full summer with the Egg and all my brew equipment. Looking forward to having the Egg and the Blichmann burner both fired up at the same time.

The only issue with the Carwash method is the hourly opening of the egg. Food works best in the egg when the lid STAYS SHUT. I'm not yelling, just emphasizing ;) I also support the idea of not using anything but a rub on the meat, then finishing with bbq sauce of your choice at the end. Again, not arguing, just helping to educate.

My pizzas have burned, solely because the egg heats up to 900 or whatever, but that temperature doesn't hit the center of the pie. Maybe if you were making a 9" pie it would be ok, but if you're shooting to replicate a real pizza oven, its best done elsewhere. Others will argue, and i'm sure their pies are good. i'm just OCD about pizza (and everything, in case my posts aren't obvious) and like my pizza "perfect". I'm always open to other methods if anyone has something. Right now the oven is the best for our house, we hit about 600 on the stone.

Whats the steak method?

I cook pizza all the time on my egg. I think the key is heating the egg up to 600-650 and letting the stone heat up for 20-30 minutes before adding your first pie.

Whats the steak method?

For the filets, I'll marinate them for a bit in about a 50:50 mixture of worcestershire and italian dressing.. also throwing in some Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks seasoning. I get the Egg up to lava temps, do a sear and pull them off. I cover them with foil and close the vents on the Egg down to bring the temp somewhere into the 400F range (or cooler). I'll put a temperature probe in the thickest filet (that one's mine :) ) and put them back on the grill until interal temp on the thick one gets to 135F.. maybe a couple degrees more.

Nothing too fancy, but it's worked amazingly well. Prior to doing this, I had problems with under/over cooking. Overcooking a USDA prime filet should be felony in most states!

Trying to scrape the cash together to get one...nothing would beat grilling up some elk burgers while brewing up a tasty homebrew!

Back