Any big beer brewing projects?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

45_70sharps

Reaction score
Anyone have any big brewing project they want to accomplish?

I've got the normal stuff. A perfect IPA, A unique great stout, either make a great pepper beer or learn that pepper beer just isn't something I'm going to like and so on, but how about something more out there?

Myself, I know two places where hops are growing wild. One is on my brother's property where some people homesteaded and another is out where it's still the middle of nowhere near an old Chinese cemetery.

I would like to use some of those hops that some of the first people here used and figure out something native to my wet cool area that can be fermented into a beer. With a little luck something good enough to share.

It doesn't have to be great with the limited available ingredients, but worth drinking and interesting for what it is.
Maybe good enough to be a seasonal thing that you hand out to people as being an all local beer.
I even know of a guy that is another homebrewer and runs a nursery. I figure that he can help me expand my ideas of what could be used.
I've been meaning to go out there and talk to him.

We don't have grain growing weather around the coastal northwest but there must be something.
About the only thing I can think of that even resembles a grain at all is some sweet peas that grow out in the beach grass.
There is something though. It might be next year, or maybe the year after that, but I will figure something out.

Anyone else have any cool ideas of something they are working on or want to try?

Salmonberries make a nice melomel, if you have enought growing nearby. I haven't tried them in a beer yet, but i think they could do well in a light rye or red wheat ale...

Salmon berries could be good, but I would like to figure out a good local base for a beer, if any exist around here.

Latest posts

Back