Any benefit to aging instead of lagering if the recipe calls for cold storage?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopirV900

Reaction score
Hi All,
I recently racked my Northern Brewer Honey Kolsch AG kit from primary to secondary, which, per the recipe, should be lagered for several weeks (don't have the recipe in front of me). I don't have the ability to lager yet, and the airlock on the secondary has been very quiet (only ~1/4" displacement in pressure) since I put the beer in there on Sunday (3 days). Should i let it sit for the prescribed time at higher temperature, or could this be "harming" the beer? The recipe called for Wyeast American Wheat, which is what I used. I had good success previously with the same yeast strain on an American Wheat that was not cold stored, so I have reason to believe the yeast is a non-issue. So if the yeast isn't going to give a damn, should I? Of course I know that I won't be brewing a true Kolsch, that's not the question; I just want tasty beer!

Many thanks!

i don't really see why you'd need to lager the american wheat yeast. you should be fine without it.

Get a tub, put your carboy in it, put some water in it with a few frozen water bottles, rotate in new frozen bottles once a day OR get a tub and cold crash the beer in ice cold water for a day or two. It will be cleaner tasting IMO, since Wyeast 1010 is low flocc'ing and Kolsch is not a beer served yeasty like American wheat.

Also, you are not harming the beer by letting it sit for a while

Latest posts

Back