Any alternatives to starsan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

copper2hopper

Reaction score
Quick anyone? I want to bottle today and have no starsan or iotaphor. What else can I safely use around the house to soak my bottles in???!

I use a bleach solution. Yeah, yeah, go ahead and yell at me.

dishwasher with a sanitize cycle?

edit:
Yeah, bleach is pretty much useless. It has to be thoroughly rinsed off. If the bottle is clean to begin with, you are no better off than if you rinsed it with hot water alone.

Don't use dishwasher soap. Does this mean you have a dishwasher? I've never done it but I've heard people using the steam setting or something to sanitize their bottles. Again. Don't use soap.

Well I added a tiny bit more priming sugar than what the calculator called for so maybe that'll make up for it.

I haven't noticed any problems with bleach or rinsing it afterwards.

Everybody is always scared they're going to introduce off flavors with chlorine, but you fix that with rinsing. Then they're afraid they're going to introduce bacteria with the rinse water, but that's not an issue if your water is treated. I've had neither issue, however YMMV.

Depending on your brand of dishwasher soap, you might have just bleached your bottles anyway albeit probably not in enough of a concentration to sanitize your bottles, but if your water was hot enough you may be okay. In that case, I hope you rinsed it well.

The other type of dishwasher soap is enzymatic soap which doesn't do anything to the bacteria already there. It may or may not affect the outcome of the beer. I don't have a firm grasp on what those enzymes target.

Back