Any advantage to a yeast starter over a properly re-hydrated dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from saving a bit of money are there advantages?

That's a tough comparison. For one, a rehydrated dry yeast may or may not be better than a non-rehydrated dry yeast.

Also, it would depend on the size of the yeast starter and the date of manufacture of the liquid yeast (much less impt than date of dry yeast).

In other words, you could do a yeast starter that has half the number of cells as a packet of dry yeast (rehydrated or not) or 3 times as many.

Are you mainly asking about cell numbers, or more about a starter vs. no starter, assuming equal numbers of cells?

EDIT: Also, usually a dry yeast packet has double the cells of a liquid yeast packet, so if you were to compare two liquid yeast packs against one dry yeast (or one liquid yeast + DME, or indeed even just one liquid pack), you're not saving money with the starter.

That's a tough comparison. For one, a rehydrated dry yeast may or may not be better than a non-rehydrated dry yeast.

Also, it would depend on the size of the yeast starter and the date of manufacture of the liquid yeast (much less impt than date of dry yeast).

In other words, you could do a yeast starter that has half the number of cells as a packet of dry yeast (rehydrated or not) or 3 times as many.

Are you mainly asking about cell numbers, or more about a starter vs. no starter, assuming equal numbers of cells?

I mostly use dry packs because they are cheaper than the liquid and I have had good results. I've seen threads on washing and saving yeast then using that for a starter in the next batch. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth going this route and getting into making starters or is there mot much difference.

I'm surprised by your first point, I would never have thought that a non-rehydrated dry could be better than a rehydrated dry? They are pretty clear with the rehydration instructions that it's important. Could you elaborate?

Ah, I didn't know you meant harvesting. Generally when harvesting, people don't do a starter. That includes me. The reason I don't (not totally sure if this is typical) is that, when you harvest, assuming you do it well, you get MUCH more yeast than needed for another batch. So, you can judge how long it's going to be before you use that harvested yeast an let that guide you. For example, if I know I'll use the yeast relatively soon, I'll split it in half. I'll then pitch one of those halves (still a ****-ton of yeast) without bothering with a starter. Or, if I don't think I'll use it for awhile, I won't split it. This accounts for cell death over time. So if I harvest the whole thing in one container, then it sits around for a couple months, there will still be plenty of live yeast for me to pitch without a starter.

I guess I went into that detail to try to address your 'is it worth it' question...because I think a big factor in determining that is how often you brew. If you brew often, it's probably worth having a routine of harvesting and re-using yeast. But if it's only on occasion, it's probably not worth it and you should just get yourself a few dry yeast packs and have them in the fridge when you need them. Of course, that equation changes if harvesting and reusing yeast is fun, but based on the fact you're asking if it's 'worth it' I'm assuming you must consider having to go through the process of harvesting and storing a 'con'.

As for the rehydration: if the manufacturer says to rehydrate then I'd assume that it's helpful. But some manufacturers suggest to pitch it dry. I always rehydrate even if the manufacturer says pitching dry is fine (I doubt it could hurt) mainly because I use carboys, so I can't lightly spread the dry yeast across the surface and it would seem weird to just dump it into the carboy, resulting a pile of dry yeast floating in the middle. I guess it would eventually all sink and spread around, but I don't know, just doesn't sit right with me.

Ah, I didn't know you meant harvesting. Generally when harvesting, people don't do a starter. That includes me. The reason I don't (not totally sure if this is typical) is that, when you harvest, assuming you do it well, you get MUCH more yeast than needed for another batch. So, you can judge how long it's going to be before you use that harvested yeast an let that guide you. For example, if I know I'll use the yeast relatively soon, I'll split it in half. I'll then pitch one of those halves (still a poopy-ton of yeast) without bothering with a starter. Or, if I don't think I'll use it for awhile, I won't split it. This accounts for cell death over time. So if I harvest the whole thing in one container, then it sits around for a couple months, there will still be plenty of live yeast for me to pitch without a starter.

I guess I went into that detail to try to address your 'is it worth it' question...because I think a big factor in determining that is how often you brew. If you brew often, it's probably worth having a routine of harvesting and re-using yeast. But if it's only on occasion, it's probably not worth it and you should just get yourself a few dry yeast packs and have them in the fridge when you need them. Of course, that equation changes if harvesting and reusing yeast is fun, but based on the fact you're asking if it's 'worth it' I'm assuming you must consider having to go through the process of harvesting and storing a 'con'.

As for the rehydration: if the manufacturer says to rehydrate then I'd assume that it's helpful. But some manufacturers suggest to pitch it dry. I always rehydrate even if the manufacturer says pitching dry is fine (I doubt it could hurt) mainly because I use carboys, so I can't lightly spread the dry yeast across the surface and it would seem weird to just dump it into the carboy, resulting a pile of dry yeast floating in the middle. I guess it would eventually all sink and spread around, but I don't know, just doesn't sit right with me.

Great info! Thanks!

Back