Anvil Burner with Natural Gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dendron8

Reaction score
I have read several posts that say home brewers have converted to natural gas, but they were all using burners (Bayou Classic, etc) that were not Anvil, which is what I have. I have also read several times that the Anvil only works with Propane.

Is the Anvil different in some way? Why would it be ok to convert the other burner types but not the Anvil?

Typically, most propane burners can be converted by drilling out the orifice to allow for more fuel. I don't know how safe it would be with this design though. It would be like tuning a carburetor, but only without being able to put in a smaller jet. Would you be able to get a replacement if you went too big? Does talking about tuning a carb date me?

Typically, most propane burners can be converted by drilling out the orifice to allow for more fuel. I don't know how safe it would be with this design though. It would be like tuning a carburetor, but only without being able to put in a smaller jet. Would you be able to get a replacement if you went too big? Does talking about tuning a carb date me?

I was thinking more of a gas converter.. a little brass fitting that takes in natural gas fitting and converts (the pressure i guess??) to what the burner can handle..

and no, carburetor references are not discouraged nor judged ;)

I was thinking more of a gas converter.. a little brass fitting that takes in natural gas fitting and converts (the pressure i guess??) to what the burner can handle..

and no, carburetor references are not discouraged nor judged ;)

The 'converter' is the jet already noted. Propane has a higher specific heat, and under higher pressure. Propane comes in high and low pressure versions, and the jet is different for both. The low pressure version is still higher than natural gas.
Natural gas is at a very low pressure, and lower specific heat, so a larger jet is required to get enough flow to produce the same amount of heat.
Do some research online for converting propane to natural gas and you will find lots of good information to help understand the situation.

The 'converter' is the jet already noted. Propane has a higher specific heat, and under higher pressure. Propane comes in high and low pressure versions, and the jet is different for both. The low pressure version is still higher than natural gas.
Natural gas is at a very low pressure, and lower specific heat, so a larger jet is required to get enough flow to produce the same amount of heat.
Do some research online for converting propane to natural gas and you will find lots of good information to help understand the situation.

Great, thanks for the clarification! I will go poke around... really, my main question was more about was there something specific about the Anvil burners that would not allow (ie, cause fires/explosions) natural gas vs other burners. I guess the answer is that although Anvil says you cannot use natural gas, it is because the input is a propane input and not because it cant handle natural gas internally..?

If you are still looking for a natural gas conversion, Williams Brewing carries natural gas conversions for propane burners. One of their options may work. I use NG on a Hurricane burners with the conversion and it works well.

Back