Antwerp Ale Yeast (WLP515)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpeters

Reaction score
Made a beer yesterday with Antwerp Ale Yeast (WLP515) and it is bubbling away nice but there is zero kräusen on top. I cant say I have ever had an ale ferment that way before. Is that typical for that yeast? It is fermenting at 68 degrees (Room Temp). I did make a starter for this beer and it fermented the same way also. I have made other Belgium style beers before and they usually have a very large kräusen and usually overflow out the blowoff tube.

That yeast looks more like a lager yeast when fermenting. I usually get a krausen but only a small one.

Made a beer yesterday with Antwerp Ale Yeast (WLP515) and it is bubbling away nice but there is zero kräusen on top. I cant say I have ever had an ale ferment that way before. Is that typical for that yeast? It is fermenting at 68 degrees (Room Temp). I did make a starter for this beer and it fermented the same way also. I have made other Belgium style beers before and they usually have a very large kräusen and usually overflow out the blowoff tube.

Mine fermented at 66F with starter and was bubbling less than 12 hours in and continued for 3 days. Probably had a good 2 inch kräusen. I should have taken pictures, but I didn't have room on my phone.

I just brewed a belgian pale using this strain. Og 1.052

5.5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon bucket had some minor blow off i pitched at 64 and let it free rise to 70

Ill be kegging in 2 weeks, Im going to store part of the yeast cake in mason jars and use a portion of it to ferment an ipa with.

I place the probe mid way on the carboy. Took a FG reading and the beer tasted really good and I plan to save some of the yeast. It will be interesting to see how the next one ferments.

Back