Antiseptic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffter99

Reaction score
Hi
I've just done my first ever batch of lager having previously done 2 batches of real ale. However my lager has a real TCP/antiseptic aftertaste to it!

I've read that it could be to do with the steriliser I used but what is the best way to avoid this happening again?!

Thanks

It could be your sanitizer, which if that's the case, switch to Star San. It may very well be your water. Do you remove any of the chlorine from your water? Can you post your recipe and brief description of your process?

Hi
I've just done my first ever batch of lager having previously done 2 batches of real ale. However my lager has a real TCP/antiseptic aftertaste to it!

I've read that it could be to do with the steriliser I used but what is the best way to avoid this happening again?!

Thanks

This antiseptic aftertaste you are talking about could also come from off-flavours fermenting too high. The temperature needed for a lager yeast is always lower than an ale yeast: meaning you could have used the same process and get bad aftertaste with a lager. Posting your recipe and describing your process will help everyone help you!

Back