Another Yeast Starter Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally started to make yeast starters. Several months ago I made my first starter for a Pils (Wyeast Bohemian) I was brewing. After 36 hours the starter looked like the first picture. It turned out to be the best beer I've ever brewed.

Then I brewed today (Friday) with a starter (Wyeast American Lager) I made Tuesday. After 60 hours it looked like the second picture. It was still actively fermenting. Original gravities for both were about 1.037.

Several questions:

1. What are some of the factors that can cause this difference?

2. Are there any differences in how these starters should be handled when pitched?

3. Do different yeasts have different looks in a starter?

4. Should I have waited for the second starter to look like the first prior to pitching?

5. How do I consistently get the results I got from the making of the first starter?

I wish I knew what I did on the first starter to get it right. My last 4 starters have been like the second pic.

YeastSmall.JPG

Yeast2Small.JPG

I finally started to make yeast starters. Several months ago I made my first starter for a Pils (Wyeast Bohemian) I was brewing. After 36 hours the starter looked like the first picture. It turned out to be the best beer I've ever brewed.

Then I brewed today (Friday) with a starter (Wyeast American Lager) I made Tuesday. After 60 hours it looked like the second picture. It was still actively fermenting. Original gravities for both were about 1.037.

Several questions:

1. What are some of the factors that can cause this difference?

2. Are there any differences in how these starters should be handled when pitched?

3. Do different yeasts have different looks in a starter?

4. Should I have waited for the second starter to look like the first prior to pitching?

5. How do I consistently get the results I got from the making of the first starter?

I wish I knew what I did on the first starter to get it right. My last 4 starters have been like the second pic.

It's a slow day at work so I'll give it a shot:

1) Many but the health and viability of yeast you pitched may be the most important.

2) Apparently the second starter has not completed fermentation. If possible, try allow the starter to complete before pitching.

3) I have no experience with lager yeast but would assume a big difference as most lager yeasts are bottom fermenters.

4) I think so (see 3).

5) I bet White Labs and Wyeast would like to know that answer:) But seriously, it's all about yeast health and viability. If the yeast is old or you suspect it has been mishandled or it appears greyish in color, try doing a stepped starter.

Thank you,

Also, should I leave it on the stir plate until fermentation is finished or just until fermentation begins then remove from stir plate and let the yeast mix things up on its own?

Thanks you,

Also, should I leave it on the stir plate until fermentation is finished or just until fermentation begins then remove from stir plate and let the yeast mix things up on its own?

Leave it on the stir plate until it's done. The whole idea of the stir plate is to keep the yeast in suspension and keep them exposed to as much oxygen as possible.

My starter on the stir plate always goes through these stages:

1. Make the wort, add the yeast, start it stirring. A vortex will form, no bubbles at the top. You can hear the vortex hit bottom.
2. When fermentation begins, the CO2 disturbs the vortex so it will no longer form, and bubbles (krausen) appear at the top. The stir fan even slows a bit and struggles from the resistance, and it just sounds different.
3. As fermentation slows and stops, the vortex reappears, sucking the krausen in with it. You can hear it hit bottom again.
4. Done.

Even my wife knows the stages, so when I made a starter for my last batch she came and told me it still wasn't doing anything on the second day. I had to do a two step starter because it was so slow and didn't produce enough yeast when it had finished. The second step took off almost immediately, and she commented that this one sounded right.

I wouldn't worry too much about the inconsistencies unless you're going for production line predictability.

I almost always make starters, and often don't do them early enough to have them completely finished. I really haven't noticed a difference in results with my beers that would be attributable to the starters. I try to have my starters completed so that I can cold crash and decant excess starter juice off. When I miss that mark, I cold crash anyway (sometimes I forget, and if the style can handle it, I pour the whole starter - with juice - into the wort) and go from there.

My thought is that the starter gets the yeasts going and in the eating mood, and also has the benefit of making a battalion of yeasties that want to get it on. Even if I don't have it perfect, it still seems to work. I love yeast.

Latest posts

Back