another wyeast 2565 question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barneyfife

Reaction score
I have a 1.050 kolsch going in my fast ferment conical. The thermowell temperature says it is 53* (ambient about 50*). It is bubbling vigorously every 4 seconds, . I pitched onto the yeast cake from a previous batch of Kolsch,about 10 hrs ago,that i fermented at 60*. . My question is, being that it is bubbling vigorously, even at below the low end for the yeast (56-70), should i ramp up the temperature a bit, or just let her go. It certainly doesnt seem like it needs any help in that department.

Thanks
Barney

I would give it a couple days as long as the fermentation keeps up.
I know it's not the same strain, but I once fermented 1007 German Ale @ 52 after it took off and it was one of the best beers I've ever turned out.

Those Kolsch & Alt yeasts can go a fair bit lower on temperature than most brewers give them credit for and the beers they turn out are spectacularly clean tasting when you do.

That said, if you want much of the ester profile from the yeast, you better warm it up a little bit.

I like that yeast for that strength beer at 62 F steady for 3 weeks, then a short ramp up to 68/70 for a day or two to make sure it's finished. It's an extremely vigorous fermenter and the low and slow keeps it under control and the esters restrained a bit.

I like that yeast for that strength beer at 62 F steady for 3 weeks, then a short ramp up to 68/70 for a day or two to make sure it's finished. It's an extremely vigorous fermenter and the low and slow keeps it under control and the esters restrained a bit.

I like 2565 at 60F/62F gives you just the right ester quality for the style. As far as going low and slow it produces more of a lager than a kolsch beer IME.

And an additional question from me... is there an equivalent dry yeast to this, like Nottingham or something else?

I'm only making at gallon brew of a beer that my wife likes, and I'd prefer not to use an entire package of this yeast on it. It's either that or split it between two gallons and experiment with the second gallon?

I prefer it at lower temperatures, 53F was more clean in an altbier, while at 56F (13°C) there were too much fruity esters (to my taste) for a Kolsch.

If I would ferment a kolsch like beer with dry yeast, I would try US-05.
But I'm sure it won't be the same: esters profiles are different.

After 2 days, they (5 gallons in bucket, and 5 in conical),both volcanoed out the tops. Cleaned up the mess and loosened the lid on the bucket and conical for a couple days, til things calmed down. It has been a week now, and bubbling has slowed right down, so will leave another couple of weeks. Ramped up temperature on the conical to 63 degrees for the last couple of days, but the bucket I just let go at around 54 degrees for the duration. Will see how they taste in a couple of months, whether temperatures made any noticeable differences.:mug:

Barney

Latest posts

Back