Another request for help with water test results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChuckS1

Reaction score
I have to admit that water chemistry is getting to be way over my head, so any help would be appreciated. I'm on a well and have a whole-house water softening system (Rainsoft). My treated water tastes good, no salty taste to it. The beers I've done so far taste good (at least to me). My well water has a ton of iron and comes out of the bypass valve looking like very weak tea.

I used a water test with strips that I got at Lowe's and was wondering if someone could help interpret the results, in terms of brewing. I realize that I should probably get a water report from a labs, but so far that's a little pricey for my budget right now. Here's the numbers I got from the test kit.

Total Hardness - 0
Total Chlorine -0
Alkalinity - 120
pH - 7
Nitrites - .5
Nitrates - 5
Copper - 0.6ppm
Iron - 0 ppm

Thanks in advance.

Pricey though it may be (and it isn't really) you really need a Ward Labs test. I can't tell much from this except that your water softener is working (took out the hardness and the iron) and your alkalinity is typical.

Back