Another Oregonian

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neko

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just wanted to quit lurking and actually introduce myself. I'm in Portland, but originally from the Bay Area, and have been brewing since last summer.

I have an IPA on tap in the kegerator with a mix of Willamette hops from the backyard and Chinook from the community garden in the neighborhood. It was awesome to be out on a walk and run into a huge hop vine higher than I could reach:ban:

Welcome to HBT. Where did you live in the bay area I went to high school in Fremont.

Welcome to the forum. My SWMBO used to live in the bay area, in Oakland. Now tell me whereabouts you saw this giant hop bine....

Chinook from the community garden in the neighborhood. It was awesome to be out on a walk and run into a huge hop vine higher than I could reach:ban:

lucky you.
tell me where it is so I can send my evil sister to pick me some hops!

muuhahahahahaaaa

can you tell me about Portland...i was thinking of moving there in a few years..
1) does it really rain all winter?? what is an average of days of rain per week?
2) is portland crowded? and if so, are the outlying towns/cities crowded?
3) how is traffic?
4) where are the better places to live (if buying a house, a 3 bed, in the $200-250k range)
thanks

can you tell me about Portland...i was thinking of moving there in a few years..
1) does it really rain all winter?? what is an average of days of rain per week?
2) is portland crowded? and if so, are the outlying towns/cities crowded?
3) how is traffic?
4) where are the better places to live (if buying a house, a 3 bed, in the $200-250k range)
thanks

1. Well, the weather here seems to be different each year. Right now it's sunny and blue skies, but that's not really normal. It does rain a lot, and sometimes there is rain for weeks, not just days. Most of the time it's not pouring though, it's light rain for extended periods of time. I've heard a saying here, "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes".
2. Compared with bigger areas like SF, LA, or even Seattle it's not crowded. Depends on what you're used to.
3. I live and work in actual Portland so I don't do much commuting to the suburbs. My feeling is that the traffic is actually better in the city and worse in the suburbs, especially back and forth across the border into Vancouver WA. If you drive in Portland it's very quick to get almost anywhere. The whole metro area has light traffic on the weekends or at night.
4. Portland hasn't seen a housing crash like some other areas in the country, but there's still a lot of housing choices. I'd recommend living in Portland since it's easier to get where you want, but I don't know if 200-250k is going to buy what you want. Maybe closer to 350k. If you like the suburbs I prefer the west side that's still close to Portland like Tigard or Beaverton (Nike HQ).

Hope this helps.

Back