Another noob ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadliner

Reaction score
I just did my first IPA AGB.. and it came out at a lower gravity than I wanted. I'm assuming because I did not stir my grains well enough to get the sugars out?.. I let it ferment in my primary for 7 days, and it has slowed down to only a bubble or two every few minutes...

My question is (I'm sure there are answers on here, but I searched and didn't quite understand them I guess)... Is there a way to increase my ABV in the primary before I pitch to secondary for dry hopping?

Can I add some more sugar to let the yeast go to work some more? Or am I just stuck with what I've got?

Hello there I am bottling my home brew tomorrow the question is how much sugar do I add per litre and is normal sugar ok to use and do I just put direct in each bottle

Sugar is 100% fermentable and will dry it out. What was the target OG and what did you achieve?

I started with an OG of 1.052.. was supposed to be 1.070

according to Beersmith.. i need to get down to 1.000 to reach my target ABV of 6.8%

I'm sittin at 1.005 right now, giving me and est of 5.4 ABV which is good for me.. But it's more of a curious question should this happen again I guess.

1.000 is the gravity of water.1.005 is pretty low of itself. sounds like you didn't get a good crush. If,for instance,you're doing biab,finer crush works better ime. I hit in the middle of the OG range on my 1st PM. This 2nd one,I used the normal crush from midwest,& it was OG 1.043,rather than 1.050 or so,according to BS2.

lol I'm guessing by "crush" you mean the milling of the grain? Sorry.. I' haven't had these ?s with extract.. always seemed to just work. I fel like a fish out of water with AG.. I guess I was lucky enough to not have to learn much in my first few years of brewing with kits.

So if it's the gravity of water.. are you saying my beer will have no alcohol and just be watery?

Watery alcohol with some color,basically. Wasn't sure how you were mashing,so I put out what I know/have learned.

IMO you should leave it at that gravity and ferment it out. It will be a hoppy Pale Ale :)
You will lose some of the alcohol, of course, but you change less of the character than if you were to add sugar to try and compensate.

Make sure your gains are finely crushed. I also stir every 20 minutes.

Back