another noob sanke fermentor question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webfoot

Reaction score
So has any one just pulled the tap and stinger out of a sanke and used it like a 15.5 gal carboy?
I have one in the man cave I have ben using as a light stand and this seems like a better use of its time.

I use 25L (purchased new) as well as used pony kegs (pulled the spear out of them) to ferment in. I actually don't ferment my beers in anything other than sanke kegs these days. IMO, it's better than a carboy, or bucket, could ever dream of being. You have options for how you get the airlock on it too. You can use the sanke fermenter kit (very well machined product), or one of the orange carboy caps with the airlock in the center spot. Or you could just pick up the large universal bung (not the one for Better Bottle carboys, the other one) and fit it with an airlock and cram it into the bung hole. :eek: Some people even rig up to ferment under pressure with the kegs, but that seems like more work to me.

Either way, brew up 12-13 gallons of something and ferment it in that bad boy. :rockin:

Doing the same thing here as Goldgiggie. I use that brewershardware cap, and love it.
Pushing out the finished beer under pressure instead of siphoning is so nice, I can't even describe it.

Make sure you have a good plan to clean our your sanke. I do oxy-clean and blindly scrub with a carboy brush. Then on brew day, boil a gallon of water with some tinfoil wrapped over the top to push the steam down around the opening. Let it cool throughout the day as you brew, and pour the boiled water out right before you use it.

Haven't had a problem yet.

Oh, one more thing. You will notice a marked improvement in upper-body strength after a few months of using sankes like this. Trust me.

Back