Another Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jc223

Reaction score
Hi all,

New to brewing. Got three extract batches under my belt so far. Two good, one not so much. Having a blast. Portland,Oregon Suburbs

Welcome.

Try to compare the 2 good ones to the bad one and see if you can determine what went wrong. Was it something that you did or was that one just a beer you didn't like?

If you can determine a cause you can avoid that in future brews.

Two good out of three is not good if that ratio continues. Out of 106 brews I have had 2 dumpers and both of those were extreme experiments. That is not to say that all of the other 104 were great, but most were as good as and some better than average priced commercial craft beers.

Most importantly, have fun and :rock: brew away!!

Welcome.

Try to compare the 2 good ones to the bad one and see if you can determine what went wrong. Was it something that you did or was that one just a beer you didn't like?

If you can determine a cause you can avoid that in future brews.

Two good out of three is not good if that ratio continues. Out of 106 brews I have had 2 dumpers and both of those were extreme experiments. That is not to say that all of the other 104 were great, but most were as good as and some better than average priced commercial craft beers.

Most importantly, have fun and :rock: brew away!!
And sometimes your first bottle may be less than stellar. Don't give up on it, give it 2 weeks and revisit. Many times the flavor will evolve in a positive way. That's one reasoning brewing is so interesting..

I’m with ya. On my 3rd batch. Go check out my last post. Came out looking like trash. But I don’t care... well I do... but the thing is I learned what not to do again. I met a home brewer in the barber shop 2 weeks ago and he told me home brewing Is all about learning from your mistakes. I’ve had 2 great brews and many more ahead. Keep at it.

Welcome from Florida! Keep at it and watch your sanitation and try and control fermentation temps and your beers will evolve!

John

Back