Another New Guy - this one from Long Island New York

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikelbeck

Reaction score
I'm sure that there are a many people who've just received a brewing kit for Christmas and found this site by Googling. Well I'm one of them!

I'm a long time beer lover and have been making beer for a couple of years with a Mr. Beer kit and a bunch of LBK's. This year I got a "real" brewing kit and am looking forward to doing some "real" brewing. Of course I'll have lots of dumb questions so you all have that to look forward to. :p

Welcome. I grew up in Westchester (Bestchester). Not too far from you. I dated a girl from Long Island (Strong Island), but I dumped her because of the damn LIE.

Good luck!

Welcome to the group from CT! Former Putnam county resident myself (Mahopac). Have fun with the brewing it's a blast!

Welcome. I grew up in Westchester (Bestchester). Not too far from you. I dated a girl from Long Island (Strong Island), but I dumped her because of the damn LIE.

Good luck!

I understand, the LIE sucks. I was down in NC for Christmas, drove back yesterday... smooth sailing all the way up 85 & 95 until I got to the GWB, from that point and then onto the LIE out to exit 63 was just awful.

Welcome from Rocky Point! I also started with MrBeer, two years ago now. I now mostly brew BIAB 5 gallon batches, with occasional smaller or extract experiments. There is a meeting at the Hop Shop (formerly Brewtopia) in Port Jeff the first Tuesday evening of every month, 7:30ish. I plan to be at the next. I understand that Back Alley Brew Supply in Patchogue also has meetings, but I haven't been. Anyway, if you ever want to meet, message me.

Welcome from Rocky Point! I also started with MrBeer, two years ago now. I now mostly brew BIAB 5 gallon batches, with occasional smaller or extract experiments. There is a meeting at the Hop Shop (formerly Brewtopia) in Port Jeff the first Tuesday evening of every month, 7:30ish. I plan to be at the next. I understand that Back Alley Brew Supply in Patchogue also has meetings, but I haven't been. Anyway, if you ever want to meet, message me.

Hey Rocky Point! I'm in Coram, not far from you at all.

My wife & her cousin were at the Hop Shop the other day - they really don't know much about brewing and had a bunch of questions about the kit they were getting me. They said the guy at the counter was a jerk and kept talking down everything they picked up and only wanted to talk about himself. He told them that he's a "master brewer" and his setup is the best ever and yada yada yada. They almost walked out but didn't know where else to get this stuff so they bought it there. I was gonna spend a bunch of time there and probably drop a bunch of money too but I'd rather deal with a guy who is willing to help a newbie like myself and not have to listen to him talk about how great he thinks he is all day long.

I didn't know about Back Alley in Patchogue, I'll check that place out.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I don't like brew snobs, I'm not sure who they met. The shop isn't the greatest, but the guys that meet there are pretty good. Back Alley is smaller, I've only been there twice, but the staff were nice. There are some bigger shops on the Island, but none too close to us. I'm glad they are there for short notice, I also get supplies online.
I generally brew Pale Ales and IPAs, that's what I drink. Right now I have a Belgian Pale and a Dubbel fermenting, I'm drinking Yooper's House Pale. Have fun, keep us posted, maybe someday we'll swap a brew.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I don't like brew snobs, I'm not sure who they met. The shop isn't the greatest, but the guys that meet there are pretty good. Back Alley is smaller, I've only been there twice, but the staff were nice. There are some bigger shops on the Island, but none too close to us. I'm glad they are there for short notice, I also get supplies online.
I generally brew Pale Ales and IPAs, that's what I drink. Right now I have a Belgian Pale and a Dubbel fermenting, I'm drinking Yooper's House Pale. Have fun, keep us posted, maybe someday we'll swap a brew.

Sounds like a great idea but I've got to brew something before we can swap! :mug:

Welcome to the forums Mikelbeck!

I'm from nassau county! If you're ever in 516, try to make your way down to Homebrews and Handgrenades in Baldwin. Pete is the shop owner, totally cool and down to earth. We have monthly bottle swaps on the second thursday of every month. It's a bunch of great guys and gals that brew awesome beverages (Ciders, Beer, Kombucha, 'skeeter pee',etc) and swap tips and techniques.

I've been going to his swaps since he opened in 2013, and it was great watching all of the brewers beers get better and better over the months. We also have a club at hhcbc.org

Pete at brewgrenades also has classes on the weekends which are well worth it for the beginner brewers.

Good luck and remember RDWHAHB! (Relax Don't Worry, Have a HomeBrew!)

Cool, thanks everybody.

I had surgery over the weekend and am not allowed to lift anything heavier than a carton of milk for a few weeks so my brewing plans are on hold for the time being. :(

In the mean time I picked up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer and will be reading that until I'm able to get started...

Cool, thanks everybody.

I had surgery over the weekend and am not allowed to lift anything heavier than a carton of milk for a few weeks so my brewing plans are on hold for the time being. :(

In the mean time I picked up a copy of "How to Brew" by John Palmer and will be reading that until I'm able to get started...

Sorry to hear that... do you have a wife/GF that could hoist kettles, buckets, etc?

Sorry to hear that... do you have a wife/GF that could hoist kettles, buckets, etc?

Yes I do but I'd rather do it myself. Not a big deal, I'll be ready do it once the docs give me the go-ahead to get back to normal activities.

Latest posts

Back