Another, "Is my beer infected?" thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithpence

Reaction score
So I brewed a IIPA yesterday (all extract w/ yeast rehydration), and pitched the yeast a little over 24 hours ago (I didn't know the temperature because I accidentally poured my wort into the fermentor w/o a thermometer on the side of it, but I know it was below 80F...I know, I need to get a thermometer) and there was no airlock activity or anything, so I decided to peek into the fermentor. At first, there were little floating "islands" of what I thought could be a bacterial infection or yeast floating, so I moved into the kitchen to get a better look. Upon reopening of the fermentor (and probably giving it a little shake), the islands seemed to have broken up and created what's pictured below...is this normal and if not, is it absolutely ruined/worth trying to save?

I should note, there's no foul smell, no vinegar smell, haven't tasted the wort just yet.

IMG_2035.jpg

Looks as if the yeast is done reproducing and getting ready to form a krausen.

It looks fine. In a higher OG batch, the yeast take a bit longer to reproduce and get going, especially if you only used one package.

I think Yooper has hit the nail on the head with this one. Give it some more time and it'll be rockin and rolling! And fight the urge to open it up for a look.

Ah, thanks guys...this is my 3rd batch, so I was a bit nervous by the slow fermenting start...won't open again until I dry hop once the krausen settles :)

I bet an hour after that pic was taken, there was a beautiful layer of nice white foam on top of that bad boy...

In the future, Id try to resist the urge to open up the fermentor and check on it so early on. All it will do is either: 1) worry you unnecessarily 2) possibly oxidize the beer 3) infect the beer

I wait at least 10 days before opening it up to take a gravity reading

Back