Another immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedutchtouch

Reaction score
Knocked out two projects today, first I made an immersion chiller from 60 feet of 3/8 ID copper tubing I picked up a while ago on sale, top 4 coils or about 1/5 sticks out of the 5 gallons I used for my test. I boiled the water and chiller for 10 min, turned off the burner, turned the tap on full blast, 38 degree water had it chilled to 70 degrees in 7 minutes. I expect it to be just a touch faster if I swirl the chiller around the entire time rather than pausing for multiple temperature readings (only have a handheld thermometer right now)
2 min 138 degrees
4 min 106 degrees
5 min 88 degrees
6 min 78 degrees
7 min 70 degrees. I can live with that. :rockin:

Working on pictures but it's not that original, a standard rolled around a corny keg single coil with both ends run up and over the pot lip, worm clamped hose to and from sink.

I then sewed up a polyester voile bag to make the jump up to all grain via BIAB. I simply made the diameter a few inches larger than my pot, and cut/sewed the bottom seam with a slight curve to try to make the bag drain from the center. All seams were folded over and double stitched. I made a 1inch hem around the top, reinforced with triple stitched seam tape, ran a length of paracord through the hem, and added on a spare spring slide lock I had sitting around. This lets me cinch the top down around the lip of my pot, and holds very nicely. I have enough material left over to make another bag as well as some smaller bags for hops and the like, but want to use this one a few times first to see if I'd do anything different before sewing anything else up. I will likely move on to a three vessel system in the future but BIAB fits the current budget and space constraints.

Nice. That's a pretty productive day.

Also, BIAB doesn't have to be a temporary "step" towards all grain. It's a viable and affordable way of doing all grain. It takes less time (no vorlauf or sparge) and clean up is a breeze.

Nice. That's a pretty productive day.

Also, BIAB doesn't have to be a temporary "step" towards all grain. It's a viable and affordable way of doing all grain. It takes less time (no vorlauf or sparge) and clean up is a breeze.

I know that, and I may get hooked, bt I also know that I am a constant tinkerer and upgrader, so even if BIAB is great, I'll likely still build new system(s) in the future.

Back