Another I Love Lucy fridge conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chillsner

Reaction score
Soon to be an I Love my Kegerator

A friend was throwing out a 1950 GE Fridge and asked if I had any use for it and sent along a picture. It was obvious from the picture that it worked from the gigantic snow ball in the top corner. Well I recently made a trade for a freezer that I was going to convert and thought this might be a little better for me and ill have a freezer too so I said yes and grabbed it...
I'm having fun with this and if you guys don't mind Id like to share it with you even though its been done before I'm doing mine slightly different.
Nice to meet you all and will post a few pics once I figure out how to get them here from my cell phone.

Let's see... where is my "this thread is worthless without pictures" GIF...

29676d1343478806-olympics-2012-201250d1224730070-fuse-diagram-thread-useless-without-pictures.jpg

Manage attachments /Upload pictures from computer button is useless on a cell phone!!
Guess I have to this a different way...hang in there pal..pics coming soon...
Cheers!!

Manage attachments /Upload pictures from computer button is useless on a cell phone!!
Guess I have to this a different way...hang in there pal..pics coming soon...
Cheers!!

If you using the browser on your phone it probably won't work. But you should be able to use the HBT app to post pics.

I'm having fun with this and if you guys don't mind Id like to share it with you even though its been done before I'm doing mine slightly different.

Whoa. Hold on. If this has generally been done before, then yeah...maybe you shouldn't post the pics. We're very busy people here. Gotta cut down on looking at stuff we've already kinda seen.

Forgive me. I'm on cold medicine. Of course we'll want to see it. I could look at ten thousand different kegerators / keezers in a weekend and then if someone comes up to me and says, "Hey! Wanna see a picture of the keezer I just built?" I will say, "Heck YEA! Let's see it!"

ForumRunner_20131121_001419.png

ForumRunner_20131121_001510.png

ForumRunner_20131121_001542.png

Comes apart very easy....if you see a bolt or screw, turn to the left. Only 3 main sections. Compressor unit, outer and inner box.

ForumRunner_20131121_002324.png

ForumRunner_20131121_002357.jpg

I wanted three taps and no way am I straping a tank to the outside...microm had a co2 tank holder. I stuck it in the corner and reinforced the back with wood cause the tank is heavy

Well that's it for now... working on paint and ordering hardware.

See ya soon....

Cheers!!!

P.S.
Pics work on cell phone through the app. Thank you.

I'm throwing this in because the expense is a lot more than i thought it would be...It can be done cheaper but you get what you pay for i guess.

I ordered from micromatic, bev factory, antique appliance and sanels

original gasket from antique appliances $84.65
Gas and Liq Lines $30.00
3 in. shanks x 3 $56.85
ball lock sets x 3 $44.98
chrome faucet handles x3 $29.98
perlick flow control x3 $143.86
drive clamps $ 22.56
stainless shank flange x3 $14.83
3 way manifold $34.64
stainless pan $15.00
co2 tank holder (MM) $42.00
ship chg $10.00
auto paint / clear coat / + misc (sanels) $250.00
sanke tap with ball lock connectors
(for a commercial 1/6 keg JIC ) $35.00

TOTAL COST $814.35

Plus the hours to DIY $ 0

Im still sanding.......BRB

Cheers!!!:mug:

Oh....forgot new insulation. R19 wide + $47.00

Revised total = 861.35

Quick update
Got the parts in and hooked up keg lines...

And word to the wise "Don't rush the paint job" unless of course you enjoy doing things twice!

Oh well...Its coming along

More to follow

Cheers

ForumRunner_20131126_175519.png

Just be super careful with the evaporator. Mine developed a pin hole leak even though I was really gentle with it and tried not to bend anything. Is yours a 10cf or an 8cf. The model number on the upper left inside the inner cabinet should tell you.

NCS-8-HB
It is an 8 cf model, confirmed by a tape measure.
I have run it a few times over the last few weeks and seems to be in working order... I don't even want to think about doing all this work and the expense to end up with a non working pretty box.
If it does break putting it together I'm sure you will hear my response....haha
Thanks for the warning!! I will be careful.

That's funny...a pretty close description (I can't see your pic or even mine on the cell phone for some reason) but yes..I'm going {RaT RoD} matte black with a high gloss vertical black stripe to enhance the All chrome GE badge and taps. I think that will go nicely with the other appliances in the kitchen as well.

Sorry....No Flames

Happy Thanksgiving!! Gobble Gobble

Thumbs Up to Mrfoodscientist's Blog!! http://homemadesodaexpert.blogspot.com/

That's great...

I am working on a home brew root beer for my non alcoholic days. I have sarsaparilla root,sassafras, van beans, wintergreen, cherry bark, liq root, burdock root, ginger root and nutmeg....if I could even get into the ballpark of a Virgil's special edition Bavarian nutmeg I would be one happy camper...I haven't started that project yet as I'm in the process now of a hard lemonade. Tweaking the sangria/punch made from some extra red wine that came out of the barrel last year and 30 gallons of hard cider. But soon!

Anyway... I will definitely be visiting your site for future soda's and if you have any ideas on getting my RB close to a Virgil's I'm open to suggestions. =)

Cheers!!

View attachment 163383

Finished up putting the boxes and compressor together. Yes!! It still works. What a relief... a little more work on the door and Tahdah. Ill send a few on the finished product in the next week or so, I should be done. Its been a fun build... a wee bit expensive but compared to what is availabe in the same price range...IMHO way. Way. Way. Cooler!!
PS. Add another 75 bucks or so for sanke tap w/ ball lock conversion...a 1/6 barrel will also fit and since I live in the same town as a Beer distributer with what seems to be a massive selection that tap just might come in handy....
Hope you all had a great Holiday
Cheers!!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131130_192424.png
    ForumRunner_20131130_192424.png
    356 KB · Views: 696
ForumRunner_20131130_202644.png

When you insulate, R19 wide is a perfect fit and 1 roll will do the whole fridge.

20131201_154659-1-1.jpg

Today I picked up a work light cover for a few bucks. With a little bending its on and going to save me from cleaning up broken glass and the cost of new bulbs when the keg hits the light...
Its all in the details =)
I am undecided on the drip tray. I picked up magnets and have an idea of what I would want...if I even want one. What are your thoughts? Do I really need that thing clinging to my fridge?

BTW

I decided that I'm going to have That drip tray. removable of course...not very practical if ya leave the faucet open but very, very cool!! This is sure to be a hit for custom looking drip trays..

Might be a while but Ill post that when its on.

Hope you enjoyed the project
And
I hope you like the way it turned out CHEERS!!!

Wow, nice work. I wish my build went that quickly. Though I can't complain, I didn't have the $800+ to drop into it all at once.

Thanks for the kudos on the blog, you're welcome to visit anytime!

Man. My dad has an old fridge like that that belonged to my grandmother. May have to try salvaging it and doing something similar.

That project is sweet! I've got the same fridge, still in progress. I applaud your vision! Exceptional job!

This was my first pour...a sangria punch that I wipped up using some wine that I made....everybody loved it, I saw it leak down the door on rhe third tap so I shut it off. Unfortunately is wasn t really off.

In the morning I went to repair it and noticed that the keg felt a lot lighter than the night before.

ForumRunner_20131206_212933.png

Yes...there it is...in the bottom of the door.... wonderful!!!
New insulation and dried it all up....fixed all that and then went to the local distributor cause I have no homebrew beer right now..haha go figure.

ForumRunner_20131206_213405.png

Bought a peaks organic ale half barell then transferred it to 3 cornys. What a deal!!! Works out to around .50 cents a pint.

ForumRunner_20131206_213645.png

Everthing is hooked back up and in working order....

Thanks to all who like this...I really appreciate the kind words.

I will finish this up with picks of the drip tray when its on.

Till then

Cheers!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back