Another HB goes pro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enricocoron

Reaction score
Never introduced myself, and now I've gone and ruined a perfectly good hobby. After a long hiatus between my college brew days and getting an all grain 5 and then quickly after, a 10 gallon RIMS system after just two years, I've found myself brewmaster of a new 7bbl brewhouse down the road. I got roped in when the LHBS closed and the owner knew all my buddies really liked my recipes. We only have 3 tanks so I'm keeping my day job but it's been about 10 months of very hard work to get all set up and get the first 5 brews out there. Thought I'd share a few hilarities

1) Batch one - pale ale (Natch!) came in with Warrior at 60 and then a whirlpool of Centen/Cascade and then dry hopped....had issues with the plate chiller and got a too much bitterness from whirlpool....57 IBUs but very brite and clean and the dry hop takes some of the edge off. Pretty right on the gravity and temps though at 1.051-1.010, can't believe it came out okay after a 2 hour mash, a 2 hour lauter, and 2 hours to cool down...thought we were too good for a dry run :)

2) Batch two - Stout, somehow got the temp right again and used WLP007 to get and Oatmeal stout down to 1.016, added some cold steeped coffee to some kegs for Nitro push...want to push up the OG and the BUs a bit but Tinseth nailed this single EKG addition at 60 at 24 IBUs.

3) Batch 3 - Kolsch confident with Tinseth and temps, got this down to 1.008 and 20 IBUs, still taking way too long to lauter out and cool, but it's working, just meant another 10 hour brew day. Thinking of 'randalling' some through colombus and cascade whole hops.

4) Batch 4 - IPA, a lb. per barrel in the dry hop...used Russian River method of cooling to 60 degrees, collecting yeast, then dry hopping and purging with some CO2 and letting free rise to 68...after 3-4 days the aroma is amazing, though probably a bit on the bitter side. Used a crapload of overpriced hops for this. will add some chilis to a keg or two of this.

5) batch 5 - American Strong, too bitter most likely, but should mellow out in time...the 10 gallon version if very good though.

Not an ad at all but if you want to check us out and you're in San Diego area it's the Thorn Street Brewery in North Park.

Back