Another Gatorade Cooler Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bken620

Reaction score
I haven't brewed beer in over 2 years; bought a house, had a kid, you know, that sort of thing. So I'm raring and ready to get back into it and want to go full tilt. Last time I brewed I did it BIAB with one kettle and a tripod holding my grains above it.

Insert Gratuitous Picture here:
IMG_20140418_171009.jpg

But now since I want to do it properly, so I'm building my own mash tun using a Gatorade Cooler (which I acquired many years ago as a coach), a weldless spigot, a female to female coupler and a bazooka screen. All in all it cost me about $32, and while it may have been cheaper (not by much) to have bought all of these individually from my local hardware or big box store, it all wouldn't have been stainless, come with silicone washers or a nicely built bazooka screen.

I first took all of the fittings apart and wrapped any threads in teflon tape. I then loosened the hose clamp on the bazooka screen, took out the continuous 1/2" thread and took the male to female couple that came with the spigot and lightly tightened the continuous thread into it. I then put the bazooka screen on the male end of the male to female couple and tightened down the hose clamp.

IMG_4391.jpg

I slid on the metal washer and then the silicone washer to the continuous thread. I then put the screen in the cooler, pushed it through the spigot hole, put the silicone washer and then the metal washer on the outside of the cooler. Put the female to female coupler on the outside of the cooler and then tightened the spigot to the coupler.

IMG_4392.jpg

Hope this helps anyone who's building their own mash tun.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just this morning I was at Home Depot, seeing how much it'd cost me to make this cooler mash tun. The site itself says less than $50, I came out at about $75.
Anyone have any idea where to go to get it cheaper, ideally without having to go to 5 different stores?

Just this morning I was at Home Depot, seeing how much it'd cost me to make this cooler mash tun. The site itself says less than $50, I came out at about $75.
Anyone have any idea where to go to get it cheaper, ideally without having to go to 5 different stores?

You can use the square coolers. They are cheaper and bigger .

I think it's luck of the draw sometimes, I lucked out and had the cooler, if I didn't, mine would have been in the 75-100 price range.

Are they using a galvanized nut for the inside of the cooler to hold the bulkhead for the spigot??? Don't do that. Galvanized steel is NOT good to be in contact with any type of foods/liquids you plan on ingesting.

Are they using a galvanized nut for the inside of the cooler to hold the bulkhead for the spigot??? Don't do that. Galvanized steel is NOT good to be in contact with any type of foods/liquids you plan on ingesting.

If you zoom in you can see that the coupling has 304 molded into it - pretty sure that's for 304 SS :)

If you zoom in you can see that the coupling has 304 molded into it - pretty sure that's for 304 SS :)

Yeah, I only use stainless on anything that is going to potentially touch my beer at some point.

Back