Another fermentation/controller temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
Did some quick searching and didn't find the answer. Sorry if it's somewhere.

I built a Ferm chamber last week with an STC-1000 and last night I brewed and am using the chamber for the first time. I'm using WLP380 Hefe yeast for a honey wheat. White Labs says 66-70 degrees, so I set it on 68 with the probe taped to the bucket and insulated. It occurred to me today, should I be setting the controller to a temperature that keeps the wort at 68 with the increase in temp from fermentation? If so is it too late to change it. It's 5 gallons I pitched about 20hrs ago and it's not bubbling yet. It's set on 1.2 variation I think.

Probe taped to the bucket and insulated from the air is the most accepted way of measuring internal temperature. I like to assume that it's 1°F higher inside the bucket, but that still puts you in in the range - and I'm assuming, never measured.

Edit: I also use the midpoint in my range of variance as the ferm temp. If I set at 66 with a 2 degree hysterosis (66-68) then I call 68 my ferm temp (67 midpoint plus 1 degree)

Back