Another "does my beer look OK" thread: Brewer's Best Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backdrifter

Reaction score
I hadn't planned on opening my primary to take a look, but today my curiosity got the better of me. So, do the photos below look OK? Some background info:

- Brew day was Sunday, October 13
- I followed the Brewer's Best steeping, hopping, & boil times.
- I have a large enough pot, so I did a full boil rather than adding water to the wort.
- OG measured at 1.054 (in the middle of the 1.052 - 1.056 recommended range).
- I did rehydrate the yeast per John Palmer's "How to Brew" instructions, however I did so at 86F, as suggested by the packet of yeast that came with the kit. I did not "test" the yeast.
- Pitched the yeast at approximately 60F, as recommended.
- I did not have airlock bubbling activity until sometime on Wed, Oct 16
- Airlock activity lasted between two and three days and has been quiet since.
- Has been fermenting in my basement, out of sunlight, at a pretty-darn constant 62 degrees (again, OK by BB instructions).
- I planned to leave it in the primary for two solid weeks (Sun, Oct 27) before taking a gravity reading and a small sip.

I guess I expected to see more krausen. Would this have happened earlier in the fermentation? Is it dropping out now?

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Don't see anything there that looks bad. If you've got it open anyway, take a sample, check your gravity, and then get the lid back on that thing!

I brewed two batches the day before this one and both are in primary fermenters still...both look just about exactly like this. In a typical batch you get the fermentation peaking a couple days in and the krausen starting to dissipate at about day 3-4, then slowly dropping every day from that point on. By 10 days or so (which is where you are) you have just some yeast chunks floating on the top and probably some fine bubbles coming up from the bottom which will create little clusters of bubbles on the surface that often look like something is floating until you get really close and look at it. Bottom line, this looks completely normal.

Finally, the first time I feel comfortable saying ...

RDWHAHB!

My first time :rockin:

I recently brewed a Patton's California Pale Ale that looked like just like that during fermentation. It's now sitting happily and tastefully in my kegerator. You're fine :)

Thanks for the quick and reassuring comments, they are much appreciated!

My fermenter is a DW Brew Products Cavern:

http://www.dwbrewproducts.com/shop/product_info.php/gal-stainless-steel-carboy-p-65

I REALLY like it and can highly recommend both the products and their customer service. The thing I really like about the Cavern is that you can also use it as a brew kettle. That's what I did with this batch and it was very convenient. I cleaned the Cavern really well but there was no need to sanitize since the fermentation vessel was boiled. It was a big time saver, and nice to not have to worry about transferring to the fermenter. I took it straight from the burner to the ice bath and had it cooled and ready for pitching the yeast very quickly.

I also have a valve on the bottom connection so I can transfer via a valve located above the trub and not deal with syphons. Good stuff!

Another "yes it looks fine" response ;)

Wouldn't mind a follow up after you rack telling us about how easy/difficult cleaning the vessel was after a boil and fermentation have taken place in it. Your gear has some serious SS bling factor!

I'll agree that it's not plastic bucket cheap, but I don't think the prices are out of line.

The brew kettle on the right in my photo was $100. If you consider that the Cavern can be both your brew kettle and sole fermenter for $135, I don't think that's too bad. Add the prices for a standard brew kettle, primary and secondary fermenter and compare in price and I think the Cavern is priced fairly. In hind sight, I wish I would've passed on the 8 gallon brew kettle and bought a second Cavern instead.

I decided to take one-L's advice and get a sample and take a gravity reading.

Hard to see here, but I read about 1.017. Suggested range is 1.013 to 1.016. I'll let it go a few more days and take another reading.

And then finally, the fun part! I got to taste it!

I was impressed - it's pretty darn drinkable as-is. I'm going to let it go a few more days in primary and then relocate the Cavern to my beer fridge in the garage where I plan to lager it for 4 weeks or so. Though it was awfully tempting to drink more!

Next possible issue - I decided to top off the airlock, as it had lost some volume. When doing so, I think I added a bit too much water and swear I saw a tiny bit go down the stem and into the fermenter.

Am I in trouble?

Shouldn't be in trouble, but most of us use some vodka in the airlock (just by the cheapest possible store brand for this purpose), which will ease your mind the next time this happens. Chances are that you're fine though, I've had regular water in the airlock before and some went in - wasn't a problem.

Thanks again for the quick response! I was finally feeling good about the beer, especially after tasting it, and then I dumped some airlock water in there. Go figure!

Vodka - brilliant! I'll do that next time for sure. Thanks!

I really like the steel carboy. Quite expensive but really useful for a small home brewer. Nice post

Star san in the air lock works well too. Your gear sure is fancy! I'm jealous. I'm still using plastic buckets/carboys

Latest posts

Back