Another cold crashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soundwav

Reaction score
I'd like to add a gelatin solution to my brew that I am currently cold crashing.
My concern is since it's been in the fridge for 4 days now the carboy is VERY cold, a hair above freezing so I'm concern about adding a warm gelatin solution and having the carboy crack.

Sooooo can I throw the solution in the keg and rack the beer on top and throw the keg in the fridge for another week since my co2 tank will be in for certification I will have zero access to co2 I'm worried about something going wrong

Thank you

The small amount of warm liquid in the larger volume will not cause enough of a temp rise or shock to crack the carboy.

That being said, I cold crash in kegs to prevent O2 from being sucked in as the temp drops and then add the gelatin after a day or two.

The small amount of warm liquid in the larger volume will not cause enough of a temp rise or shock to crack the carboy.

That being said, I cold crash in kegs to prevent O2 from being sucked in as the temp drops and then add the gelatin after a day or two.

I'd like to crash in a keg but after cleaning it I don't like the look of my seals so I'm placing and order with obk to refresh the corny.

Will I be okay to keep the air lock on the carboy or should I use another method
Just worried about it drawing in oxygen

It really depends on the style. Oxidation usually takes a while to show up in the flavor. If its a beer that is not gonna stick around very long I wouldn't worry about it. If it was something you were gonna lay down for awhile, like a barely wine or RIS then it would be more of a concern. Its just a habit I have gotten into to avoid any chance of O2 uptake. Probably not necessary for an IPA I will go through in a month.

Hmmm, If you are kegging it, just don't splash it around. the chances of it oxidizing are slim to none. It is not going to "draw" oxygen at this point, as it is already saturated with CO2.

Back