another carbing and patience thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iowabrew

Reaction score
Ok so ten days into bottle condition and cracked the first one. absolutely no foam, head, nothing. few bubbles in the glass but that's it, primed with all but 1 inch worth of a 5 oz priming sugar packet, it was just over 3/4 cup. beer has been at 70F for the five days, sat at around 66F the first five days.

it almost still tasted like my FG sample after it was done fermenting. surely this will eventually carb up right? kick me if you need to, just kind of worried i somehow didn't get enough sugar in/not high enough temp??

I know by the title of your thread that you ALREADY know the answer, and just want your hand held......so here you go with the same answer you've already prolly read by me on here at least a dozen times, but you somehow think you're beers somehow different. ;)

It's not....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

i figured that, just being overly paranoid, i just always thought wheat's were ready so much faster.

You have some bubbles, which means you are going to get some carbonation. As you will hear many times and learn, using a weight scale for measuring sugar, not measuring cups.

What was the type of bear you made? Some just don't form head, as it is from the type of grains used. Ever see head form on a Budweiser?

Bigger beers (high octane as I call them) take longer to carb up. I had a Belgian weighing in at nearly 11%ABV, and had cold conditioned it for 2 months; took a bit over a month to get to a proper carbonation level.

Give them another week. It may just take time. Is it at least tasty? Low carbonation is fine in some styles, and foam/head is just for looks.

so lets say you carbed at 65F the whole time, instead of minimum of 3 weeks at 70F its pry more like 4 weeks at 65F? it'll still carb up on the cooler side, say 64-66F but just take a little longer correct?

I'm going to add that even for relatively low gravity beers, sometimes it just takes a while. I made a cream ale that i added blueberries to after primary. I figured since it was around 1.050 og, it would carb up pretty quickly. 2 weeks, mostly flat. 3 weeks, mostly flat. 4 weeks, eh, maybe not mostly flat, but not what i really expected. 2 months..... properly carbed.

Sometimes it just takes a while.

I know by the title of your thread that you ALREADY know the answer, and just want your hand held......so here you go with the same answer you've already prolly read by me on here at least a dozen times, but you somehow think you're beers somehow different. ;)

It's not....

The 3 weeks at 70 degrees, that we recommend is the minimum time it takes for average gravity beers to carbonate and condition. Higher grav beers take longer.

Stouts and porters have taken me between 6 and 8 weeks to carb up..I have a 1.090 Belgian strong that took three months to carb up.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning. With emphasis on the word, "patience." ;)

Somebody needs to write Revvy and app where he can just click and post one of his answers. I feel bad that he has to do a search to copy his answer to post for the um-teenth time.

If reassurance is what your looking for then YES IT'S TO EARLY!!When bottling my beers usually take 6 to 8 weeks grain to glass.Extract, all grain at least 3 weeks in the bottle.

After you bottle brew another batch! !

ok just an update for all of you others who tend to overthink things like me. cracked another one:two weeks and two days in the bottle, chilled overnight.
absolutely night and day diffrence from only 10 days in the bottle. i am now a try believer of Revvy. its good now, i can only imagine how it will be at 3+ weeks and chilled for 48hrs.

i will never start or look at another "my beer is flat" thread again.

It brings a great sense of pride to drink this, seeing as how i made it.

Thanks all for the reassurance anyway!!

Amazing how that patience thing works out, isnt it? I did the same thing with my first batch.

"Oh no, its flat and its been carbing for a whole week!"

Luckily there was a "My beer is flat" thread on the home page when I logged in, or I'd probably have posted a new one.

You have some bubbles, which means you are going to get some carbonation. As you will hear many times and learn, using a weight scale for measuring sugar, not measuring cups.

What was the type of bear you made? Some just don't form head, as it is from the type of grains used. Ever see head form on a Budweiser?

Bigger beers (high octane as I call them) take longer to carb up. I had a Belgian weighing in at nearly 11%ABV, and had cold conditioned it for 2 months; took a bit over a month to get to a proper carbonation level.

Give them another week. It may just take time. Is it at least tasty? Low carbonation is fine in some styles, and foam/head is just for looks.
Forming a head isn't just about soluble proteins & the like in the malts used. The carbonation helps form it. Different styles get different amounts pf priming sugar to create more or less carbonation & head according to the style brewed. Look at my gallery for instance. The English Bitter has only 1.3 volumes max to style,whereas the APA was 2.3 volumes. You can see from the pics that the EB has less head due to less carbonation to help form it than the APA.
But yeah,his need more time to develop the carbonation & head retention. I've noticed from all the sugars I've used to carbonate with,bulk priming with dextrose gets the finest bubbles in the head & carbonation.

Revvy is right, as always

Although I've had some wit beers fully carbed after 5 days in the bottle. Of course, they needed more conditioning time for the right flavor. I always try a bottle at 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks to take notes on the flavor. Some will tell you it's a waste, but I like see how the taste evolves.

I did a watermelon ale that tasted too sweet and fruity at 2 weeks. But at 3 weeks the watermelon flavor was subtle and blended much better.

Revvy is right, as always

Although I've had some wit beers fully carbed after 5 days in the bottle. Of course, they needed more conditioning time for the right flavor. I always try a bottle at 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks to take notes on the flavor. Some will tell you it's a waste, but I like see how the taste evolves.

I did a watermelon ale that tasted too sweet and fruity at 2 weeks. But at 3 weeks the watermelon flavor was subtle and blended much better.

I do the same. Actually I test at 5 days usually. They are almost always damn near fully carbonated at that point. My last beer 3 days but I think it was because there was still a ton of yeast in suspension.

Here is a picture of my MWS amber ale kit. I bottled it 6 days ago and had to try one tonight... was a little disappointed with the lack of head and carbonation. I hope it improves in another few weeks or so.

ForumRunner_20111015_222408.jpg

Back