Another Brown Ale recipe - opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StJamesG8

Reaction score
8lbs Ashburne Mild
.5 Chocolate Malt
.25 or .5 smoked malt?
.5 Med Crystal
.5 Dark Crystal
.5 Oats
1 oz Northern Brewer/1oz Willamette for bittering
1 oz Willamette for finishing

Thinking about the Northwest Ale wyeast strain.

Impressions?

I think it looks pretty good, with a couple of tweaks.

1. KISS. Your grist is pretty complicated. My best Browns have 3-4 malts, tops. You've got six.

2. Smoked malt = Blech. I strongly urge you to omit it.

3. When you're using two kinds of Crystal malt, it's a good rule of thumb to use less of the darker. The flavors of dark Crystal malt are more intense than lighter, so you can use less of it to have an impact. In this case, I'd omit the dark Crystal entirely. Don't need it.

4. Oats lend a nice creamy smoothness. I'd keep 'em. Good idea.

5. I'd ferment this with a different yeast. The homebrewed beers I've had with 1332 have never been better than "Meh". I like some esters in my Brown Ale, American or not. If you want American and you insist on Wyeast, opt for 1272 instead. If you'll consider White Labs, try WLP051. I like either of those infinitely better than 1056 or WLP001. Or you might consider an English strain; your finishing hops strongly resemble Fuggles, so the flavors will meld nicely.

Here's a revised recipe based on my recommendations:

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

10-C American Ale, American Brown Ale

Min OG: 1.045 Max OG: 1.060
Min IBU: 20 Max IBU: 40
Min Clr: 18 Max Clr: 35 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 9.50
Anticipated OG: 1.050 Plato: 12.48
Anticipated SRM: 21.7
Anticipated IBU: 40.2
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
84.2 8.00 lbs. Mild Malt Ashburne USA 1.036 5
5.3 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt USA 1.029 350
5.3 0.50 lbs. Crystal 60L USA 1.034 60
5.3 0.50 lbs. Flaked Oats USA 1.033 2

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 9.00 40.2 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Whole 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1272 American Ale II

Mash Schedule
-------------

Mash Type: Single Step

Grain Lbs: 9.50
Water Qts: 12.00 - Before Additional Infusions
Water Gal: 3.00 - Before Additional Infusions

Qts Water Per Lbs Grain: 1.26 - Before Additional Infusions

Saccharification Rest Temp : 150 Time: 60
Mash-out Rest Temp : 158 Time: 10
Sparge Temp : 170 Time: 10

Total Mash Volume Gal: 3.76 - Dough-In Infusion Only

All temperature measurements are degrees Fahrenheit.

Good luck! :mug:

Bob

Wow! That's way more feedback than I expected, but in a good way! Thanks for your consideration. Let me explain a few reasons for why I did what I did, so that you can tell me where my logic is wrong, so I can tweak it a little!
First, the smoked malt was "inspired" by Sierra Nevada's Tumbler (their seasonal right now). I really liked the veeeeerrrrry subtle smoke to it. I don't really want to duplicate that beer, but I liked that extra little complexity. Have you had Tumbler? Thoughts?
Second, what's the reason for not needing the darker crystal? I'm sure I'm over compensating, but I did a mild brown that had good taste but was missing something in the "middle." You're thinking the medium will be enough to fill it out a little?
Lastly, the yeast. I'm by no means set on the 1332. I always seem to drift towards British strains, and styles, and thought I'd try something American that sounded like it would lend a malty/bready character. Something a little like Left Hand Deep Cover. Not a tart/bitter finish. Maybe I should ease up on the finish hops and go with a British strain, maybe 1335?
If you read all that, then THANKS again! I really appreciate the input.
Matt

First, the smoked malt was "inspired" by Sierra Nevada's Tumbler (their seasonal right now). I really liked the veeeeerrrrry subtle smoke to it... Second, what's the reason for not needing the darker crystal? I'm sure I'm over compensating, but I did a mild brown that had good taste but was missing something in the "middle." You're thinking the medium will be enough to fill it out a little?

I have had it, though I would bet that flavor it is either yeast derived or (more likely) from their use of caramel malts.

Nothing wrong with medium or dark crystal in a brown ale. I am a big believer in layering malt, so I would probably go like 5% crystal 40L and 3% crystal 60L or maybe even 80L. Though the key here is balance, you don't want to overwhelm the lighter malt flavor with lots of one dark one.

Also, Northwest ale would be a good choice, though better for an American brown. Though an English yeast will really add some complexity and richness to the beer. Again, 1335 would be a very good English choice, though I like strains with a little more character.

@bierhaus-
I think my recipe is going through an identity crisis! (I guess that doesn't REALLY matter) This was initially intended to be a US brown, because I always end up doing UK styles. The thing is, I LIKE UK styles. I tend to think of most UK ales as understated, and very well balanced, not "in your face." Good session beers, I guess. What sort of "character" do you tend towards, and in what strains do you generally find it?

Wow! That's way more feedback than I expected, but in a good way! Thanks for your consideration. Let me explain a few reasons for why I did what I did, so that you can tell me where my logic is wrong, so I can tweak it a little!

I wouldn't dream of telling you you're wrong, actually. Your recipe is your recipe, and no matter what you do, it'll be beer. :mug:

First, the smoked malt was "inspired" by Sierra Nevada's Tumbler (their seasonal right now). I really liked the veeeeerrrrry subtle smoke to it. I don't really want to duplicate that beer, but I liked that extra little complexity. Have you had Tumbler? Thoughts?

I have not tasted that beer. However, as Bierhaus noted, I suspect the smokiness comes from an entirely different source. Rauchmalt is as subtle as a half-brick in a sock as it hits you in the side of the head. Even if there's only a few ounces in five gallons, you can instantly taste it.

And I don't like it. At all. Thus my pronouncement of "Blecch."

Second, what's the reason for not needing the darker crystal? I'm sure I'm over compensating, but I did a mild brown that had good taste but was missing something in the "middle." You're thinking the medium will be enough to fill it out a little?

In the first place, simplicity is key. Many brewers attempt a layering. The majority of those attempts fail. Far from layering subtle flavors, they just have a lot of flavors. You know when you mix a bunch of different paint colors together you get brownish-grey? That's what those beers taste like - muddy and grey.

In the second, don't use notes from an entirely different style and recipe to tweak this recipe. Use the scientific method to tweak.

Third, yes, one variety of crystal malt will be sufficient to round out the flavor. A "medium" crystal (60-90L) will give a luscious caramelly sweetness as well as body. Other varieties not needed.

Lastly, the yeast. I'm by no means set on the 1332. I always seem to drift towards British strains, and styles, and thought I'd try something American that sounded like it would lend a malty/bready character. Something a little like Left Hand Deep Cover. Not a tart/bitter finish. Maybe I should ease up on the finish hops and go with a British strain, maybe 1335?

Like I said before, I've had beers fermented with 1332 and found them "Meh". Not clean enough to be 1056, not estery enough to be interesting, I frankly found it throws just enough flavor to be annoyingly out of perception's reach. It's like you can taste something odd, but you can't put your finger on it. Something not wrong, exactly, but off.

My yeast recommendations stand from above. I have a broad experience with those yeasts, especially WLP051, which is one of my favorites. If you go English, don't sweat backing off the hops. Willamette have a yummy flavor and aroma. And if I was going English, I'd pitch a sachet of S-04 and save myself the trouble of a starter. :D

If you read all that, then THANKS again! I really appreciate the input.

I fell asleep halfway through, but somehow I soldiered on to the end.

I kid, I kid.

zoidberg_hooray.jpg

From what I've read, SN Tumbler does use some smoked malt. I think they lightly smoke it themselves just before use. Not a perceptible smoke flavor to my palate, but the beer has levels of complexity that elude me.

Thanks for the welcome guys. I've actually been lurking for quite a while around here. Been brewing extract for about ten years, but just got into all grain in the last year. Wanted to get the brown done yesterday, but was also doing a 10gal batch of my IPA, and just ran out of time. Maybe I'll ditch work and crank it out tomorrow. :rockin:

Back