Another BIAB convert.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gravelscratcher

Reaction score
I did my 1st BIAB last night. (full volume, no-sparge).
It was much simpler and less exhaustive. I rigged up my pulley/hoist, and made a Reflectix jacket & topper.
I got a new SS 15G kettle, and it worked extremely well. It held my mash temp at 155 on the nose for an hour. It was pretty chilly last night, so I was impressed w/ that.

While I've said that sparging doesn't seem like a big deal to me (in the past) after not having to, I realized I really like NOT sparging.
One vessel brewing is definitely the way to go for me.
I also like not having to clean the additional 2 vessels and the plumbing that goes along w/ that.

When I was doing the 3V system, I had to do a lot of inside the house, but this time I was able to do everything I need to in the garage.

I was able to brew w/ my wife and son at home. I usually wait for them to have an "errand day", so I can have the house to myself to brew, but I was able to do it in the garage, because it's all out there now, and it's simpler. They were home, and it was no problem.

Anyway, I ended up w/ almost 6 gallons, and my OG was just short of the recipe, but I figure w/ the extra 3/4 gallon of beer, that probably offset the OG a little. Really, it's a negligible difference, so I wasn't bothered by that at all.

I couldn't help myself, and squeezed the bag. I wanted to test it, to see if it really mattered.
I waited for my wort to come to boil, then I gave it a squeeze to see what might be left...not much at all. Basically 1/2 a pint or less.
And there is no need for gloves. If you wait for it to come to a boil, and you feel the need to squeeze it, it's not very hot anyway.

Just dumped the spent grains, flipped the bag inside-out and sprayed it off (while I was boiling). Hung it up on the hoist to dry. It was completely dry/clean by the time I was done w/ my clean up...very easy.

Thanks Mike @wilserbrewer for the great set up. Worked great.
Thanks for all the BIAB pointers from HBT posters. I would have never made the switch, if it wasn't for y'all.

Anyway, pictures to follow...cheers.

Last edited:
20181229_155802.jpeg
20181229_155751.jpeg
20181229_210626.jpeg
20181229_213825.jpeg
20181229_224406.jpeg
20181229_214202.jpeg
20181229_225138.jpeg
20181229_230955.jpeg
20181230_001820.jpeg
20181230_013217.jpeg

Also, on another note.
I did not experience more trub than w/ 3v. It was about the same.
I did not use the hop bags, and I drained the kettle w/ the valve/hose into the primary.
the trub stayed below the valve, inside the kettle, and I had clean wort going into the primary.
I tilted the kettle a little, to get some more out, and stopped when my strainer started filling up.
Just an observation.

Very nice. With the bag hanging above the kettle to drain ii is pretty simple to pour a little cool water over the bag as a sparge and collect some more of the sugars. I'd use the fermenter for this so you don't even have to clean up one more vessel.

Forgot to mention this yesterday.
I looked at the spoils, from my spent grains, and noticed several dough balls.
My efficiency was still almost spot on, considering I didn't do a good job of mixing my grains in.
I basically spilled the bucket of grains into the kettle (by accident).
I stirred it around pretty good, and didn't really notice dough balls, but when I looked at my spoils, I saw several.
Anyway, just wanted to clear that up. I think I could exceed 75% efficiency without doughballs.

Back