Another beer put down to frement another low OG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GJOCONNELL

Reaction score
This is becoming quite the fun PITA.

First brew: Pliny Elder Clone Extract: Due to strong boil ended up with 3.5 gallons in the frementer and the OG was 1.09 with a 1.077 target. I added 1 gallon and the OG dropped a fair bit.

Used WLP001 yeast (liquid after getting it to room temp)

Fermentation started with 8 hours and has been steady for the last 7 days @ 68 F +/-1 in a chapman SS frementer I got off CL for $90

So I added more water to the 2nd batch:

Second brew: Russian River Blind Pig Extract:

This time ended up with 6 gallons as the boil off wasn't that strong as last time so the OG was naturally low. Did a yeast starter and left it on a stir plate for 48 hrs @ 68 degrees with a pinch of fermaid k. Due to super low OG relative to target I added 1/2 lbs dme to 1L of water to help shore up the OG. Fermentation kicked in strong @ 4 hrs with a violent bubble @ 8 hrs....praying for good beer! Didn't see any action from the conical fermenter but figured out it was due to a poor seal on the fastferment lid....quickly put teflon tape on the lid and VOILA.....VIOLENT KRAUSEN ATTACK.

3rd batch: Firestone Double Barrel Ale
Finally dialed in a better amount of preboiled water but still ended up with a slightly lower than target OG off by 0.002. Again did a yeast starter but only had it on the stir plate for 24 hrs with a pinch of fermaid k. Yeast pitched @ 68.4 F and fermentation kicked off hard within 6 hrs.....had to put a blow off valve because the airstop got blown the hell off....it is somewhere in the garage.....didn't have time to find it this morning.

Overall learning but the cooling period is killing me @ 1 hr to get from boil to 70 F.....

The above are my first three attempts at brewing beer period. I got an all grain kit for Christmas but still very scared to even try all grain yet.....

I pray my beer doesn't taste like piss!

Don't be afraid to try all grain. Its not that many more steps than what you are doing already tbh. If I had it to do all over again I would go from extract to brew in a bag. Read up on biab and you'll see.

Back