Another Apple Beer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewser_

Reaction score
Well I'll start off by saying this will be my first brew, but I have been doing my research. Basically an astronomer rather than an astronaut at this point. I have a recipe in my head that's really rough around the edges, but here is the general idea. I'll try and keep it as organized as possible, never posting a recipe before.

Here's the ingredients used.
6 lbs. of Munton's light DME
2 oz. of German Hallertauer hops
3 Packs of Danstar Nottingham Ale yeast (purchased one extra just in case)
1 lb of Honey
1 Gallon of Apple Cider
(I was hoping to add some cinnamon flavor with cinnamon sticks)

The procedure I found was very vague and in that is where most of my questions are. First is to boil 4 gallons of water and add extract and 1.5 oz of hops. Then adding 0.5 oz of hops and honey and flame out. Chill to 170'F and add apple juice. Chill to 75'F and pitch yeast. Ferment for one week then rack to secondary, bottle after fermentation.

Now here's where the questions start.
The hops, extract, and the yeast I have already bought but the honey and cinnamon I would like to keep in the recipe, any additions or adjustments are welcomed.

Second, as I am a first time brewer the cool down of the wort seems to complex and a high risk of oxidation so I was wondering if I could add the aroma hops and honey towards the end of the boil (10 minutes or so) and then add the apple juice (or cider) in the primary or secondary fermentation.

Third, I'm not sure what the flame out reference means, possibly steep

Fourth, I have heard honey takes longer for the yeast to ferment so even though its a dry yeast if I should use a starter of apple juice and honey to boost the yeast count.

Lastly this recipe didn't mention any priming before bottling, with that much honey maybe it isn't necessary, should I maybe do half and half, during the boil and the rest for priming.

Any input is welcome, Thanks Y'all

Latest posts

Back