Annual cider press results.... Just showing off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshuaWhite5522

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Over 300 gallons of honey crisp cider

IMG_20171014_151614146_HDR.jpg

What kind of pressing setup does that require? I'm looking to get a 4 gallon press next year, but I have no idea how long it takes to get 5 gallons of juice from that.

Ya, really.

...and, what in the world are you gonna do with 50 gallons of cider ?

Not sure, but I know I'm going to need to get some more kegs to store it all.

edit - update on what to do with it all.....
10 gallons will be freeze concentrated into 5 gallons of apple jack
5 gallons with be apple wine
5 gallons will be mulled cider
10 gallons will be a semi sweet cider
and the remaining 20 will be set for various fruit additions

My press was 5 gallons, filled full and cranked down as hard as I could would yield about a quart

The press looks very much like a MacIntosh press from Pleasant Hill Grain. Is that what you have?

Also, I've never pressed cider before. Assuming I have a grinding crew that can keep up with the press, how long does it take to cycle through a bucket? I spent 4 hours getting almost 2 gallons from a juicer attached to my KitchenAid mixer, and I'm assuming a press would be much faster than that.

The press looks very much like a MacIntosh press from Pleasant Hill Grain. Is that what you have?

Also, I've never pressed cider before. Assuming I have a grinding crew that can keep up with the press, how long does it take to cycle through a bucket? I spent 4 hours getting almost 2 gallons from a juicer attached to my KitchenAid mixer, and I'm assuming a press would be much faster than that.

Press is second hand so I don't know where it originally came from. I didn't time myself but the press pulled about a quart in five-ish minutes. So about 40 minutes to get you two gallons

Press is second hand so I don't know where it originally came from. I didn't time myself but the press pulled about a quart in five-ish minutes. So about 40 minutes to get you two gallons

Wow! That's about six times faster than juicing (assuming the grinders could keep up). Impressive! I'm really looking forward to getting a press for next year. I just need to find some crab apple trees. We have lots of sweet apples in the neighborhood, but I haven't found any crabs yet.

Do u find some grinders work better than others? Thinking about getting a press...similar to yours...and a grinder too. (...as I step deeper into my newfound cider hobby[emoji41])

Looks like helluva fun time to do with a group! Where are u guys located?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back