Annual Christmas Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlester

Reaction score
cider1a.jpg
The following recipe is my Annual Christmas Cider that I bottle and gift every year. It's the perfect "sit by the fire" type of drink with a warming amount of alcohol. I only make this at Christmas since the spices are for the season.

This is a still cider, so there is no carbonation involved, and is meant to be warmed before serving. Do not allow the temp to get above 170°F, otherwise you will burn off the alcohol.

This cider is rich in flavor, benefits from Christmas spices and has a nice bite from the acid additions. I haven't placed it in a competition because there is never enough left over. However, this year I'll hopefully be able to submit it locally.

There are two cups of sugar, one white and the other dark brown, which will move the OG from around 1.03 to 1.055-1.06. The brown sugar only adds a slight fullness, or caramel flavor. But, definitely makes it better.

I use two vials of English Ale Yeast and nutrient so that it ferments out properly. This yeast strains leaves some remaining sweetness and produces a slight fruitiness, which compliments the Cider.

The tea bags add a slight tanic flavor similar to wine. I use a pinch of Sulphate to preserve it from spoiling and possibly becoming a bottle bomb (gifts that explode are typically frowned upon, LOL).

I prefer Tanic Acid additions after fermentation has completed. Apples have a slight amount of natural Tanic Acid, so using this type compliments the drink. I usually start with a teaspoon and work my way up from there. Don't skip this, it gives the Cider a nice bite, or tartness. Unfortunately, typical apple juice is not very tart and needs some help.

There are two steps: Primary and Secondary fermentation. The first step is basic ingredients, the second is the spice additions.

3 Gal Apple Juice
1 Cup dark brown sugar
1 Cup white sugar
1 tsp nutrient
2 tea bags – Black tea (tanic additive)
2x Vial English Ale Yeast – White Labs WLP002
Bi-Sulphate, 1 pinch (1 gram)

Secondary Fermentation - time to add the Christmas spices

When the primary fermentation has slowed, place the following spices in two cups of boiled water (low boil the water 20 minutes prior to adding the spices, which removes extra Oxygen molecules. Allowing oxygen in your fermented cider will make it taste like cardboard). Make sure the spices are added at flame-out to also sterilize the spices. You can add the water along with the spices. You will need a funnel, and make sure the orange pieces are small enough to easily pass through the carboy neck. Otherwise you'll be digging them out with a stick.

Here are the mulling spices:
3-5 Cinnamon sticks
1 Tblsp all spice
1 Tblsp Nutmeg
1/4 Orange, sliced into thin 1/4 sized pieces
1 Vanilla beans, cut and scrape

Post fermentation:
1 tsp +/- Tanic Acid (preferred), Phosphoric Acid, or other (add to taste).

OG: 1.057
FG: 1.01 to 1.02
ABV: 5-6%

Serving:
Serve warm with a stick of cinnamon and slice of orange.

Cheers and enjoy,

This look amazing! I've been wanting something like this, a good still spiced cider for the holidays. I want to get the ABV up to around 8-9% though.

I'm curious why you add water with the spices. If it is just to sterilize them why don't you try roasting them instead? Toasting spices brings out their natural oils and you are really supposed to do toast any whole spice before using it for anything. If you do it just to make a sort of 'tea', shouldn't the alcohol in the drink pull the oils out of the spice anyways?

Have you tried adding raisins for tanic acid instead?

edit: the picture on your blog looks amazing, love the color of this stuff !

Schwiz,

Keep in mind that you need to keep the ABV to a reasonable level for the ladies and people that are not big into strong alcohol drinks. It's supposed to be an enjoyable holiday drink, that will include some people that don't typically drink more than a Chardonnay or light beer. This is a "general public" drink, if you know what I mean? I too have made strong drinks, including freezing a 10% beer to a 30-40% ABV beer. But, that is for you, and a select few drinkers. Before you try making a "Big Cider," please make your first version exactly by the recipe. That way you have something as a "model."

We all love to make a recipe our own, but if you change it before you try it, you'll miss the quality of the original creation. Check with your brewing software to make a big cider, I think you might need up to 10 LB of sugar to get it that big, but you will also make the beer thinner in taste.

The water for the spices is for sterilization. First and foremost, ALWAYS boil 20 minutes to rid it of those pesky 02 molecules, which kills fermented beverages of any kind. You could use alcohol instead, but run the risk of contaminating the flavor with a cheap vodka made from Russia.

Don't try to roast the spices...bad idea. That's a Cider killer. The spices are already strong enough. You only roast items with mild flavor, like grains, to give it some character.

Pass on the raisins for tannic flavor. I've tried it and failed. You can add raisins for the flavor. However, never add it the first time. ALWAYS follow the recipe exactly the first time. That way you have a reference to following brews.

edit response: Everything is about the presentation.

Well, if you want to bump the ABV, the key is to ferment at the lowest temperature the yeast can handle, aerate, add nutrients and add adequate amounts of yeast. This wil help avoid harsh alcohol flavors (nail polish remover).

good luck, you'll need it.

Well, if you want to bump the ABV, the key is to ferment at the lowest temperature the yeast can handle, aerate, add nutrients and add adequate amounts of yeast. This wil help avoid harsh alcohol flavors (nail polish remover).

good luck, you'll need it.

Yeah I would like to avoid that, although it could still be pleasant like a warm sake. But really, I'm at no point ready to start messing with people's recipes I haven't brewed a single batch of anything, I was just asking cause I'm curious.

sounds great! I will have to try this. The teabags sound like a fantastic addition, i'll also start using some nutrients from now on. I've only heard of people using raisins, any other good nutrient routes? Also I was wondering if there was a particular ingredient in this recipe that makes it more prone to spoilage, hence the bi-sulphate

Yeah I would like to avoid that, although it could still be pleasant like a warm sake. But really, I'm at no point ready to start messing with people's recipes I haven't brewed a single batch of anything, I was just asking cause I'm curious.

Most alcoholic beverages above 8% ABV will require some special fermentation techniques and time to settle out the harsher tastes.

sounds great! I will have to try this. The teabags sound like a fantastic addition, i'll also start using some nutrients from now on. I've only heard of people using raisins, any other good nutrient routes? Also I was wondering if there was a particular ingredient in this recipe that makes it more prone to spoilage, hence the bi-sulphate

Nutrients are important, and everything is prone to spoiling. Raisins have wild yeast all over them unless treated. Bacteria and wild yeast ride on the backs of floating dust particles and into your brew. You can heat your brew up to 163°F and cap it off or use bi-sulfate, which is just sulfur. But, you need to add it prior to fermentation so that the CO2 can burn it off. I like bi-sulfate because I don't have to be paranoid about ruining my expensive batch of Cider from contamination. For all you naturalist tree huggers, natural is better...I just don't care.

Cheers,

This is basically what I'm wanting. I can't link directly to it, its at the bottom of the page. The Providence Traditional New England. Sounds amazing, sadly can't find it around here.

The recipe within this thread is a New England style, slightly sweet, fruity and big on Christmas spices.

1.What temperature is the cider during primary fermentation ? And do you have a boil step ?
2. How long is the primary fermentation process
Thanks

1.What temperature is the cider during primary fermentation ? And do you have a boil step ?
2. How long is the primary fermentation process
Thanks

1.) 60°-65°F; The temp is based on the best range of the yeast, which is reported on the site of the yeast provider.
2.) Fermentation is directly related to the amount of viable yeast. One yeast vile/packet will take a couple weeks. Two viles and/or yeast starter is 3-5 days.

Cheers,

I am still trying to perfect my winter spice cider. Like the vanilla idea.

PS regarding your sig: If Jesus came to my party, He'd turn my water into a nice Belgium Tripel, not some simpleton wine that anyone can make.

If you read about Jesus' fist miracle, where He made 600 gallons of wine from water, the folks said it was the best wine they ever had, and they scolded Him for brining it out after everyone had a few drinks of the common swill.

PS regarding your sig: If Jesus came to my party, He'd turn my water into a nice Belgium Tripel, not some simpleton wine that anyone can make.

If you read about Jesus' fist miracle, where He made 600 gallons of wine from water, the folks said it was the best wine they ever had, and they scolded Him for brining it out after everyone had a few drinks of the common swill.

I'm more interested in the Pomegranate Lambec, sounds great!

Imagine what the Belgium Tripel would taste like? LOL.

I'm more interested in the Pomegranate Lambec, sounds great!

The Pomegranate Lambec was on the sweet side (purposely). Unfortunately, the tartness from Pomegranate is weird. However, works well with some sweetness, especially from Honey, which is a great combo.

I have a wall full of awards, including several Best of Show for my Pomegranate Meads. But, transferring that success to beer has been a challenge, unless you like sweet girly beers. Truth be told, I liked it and plan on brewing it again. I'll post my recipe.

Cheers

The Pomegranate Lambec was on the sweet side (purposely). Unfortunately, the tartness from Pomegranate is weird. However, works well with some sweetness, especially from Honey, which is a great combo.

I have a wall full of awards, including several Best of Show for my Pomegranate Meads. But, transferring that success to beer has been a challenge, unless you like sweet girly beers. Truth be told, I liked it and plan on brewing it again. I'll post my recipe.

Cheers

Do you buy pomegranate juice or whole fruit?

Back