Angry orchard clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking for a recipe to make a cider similiar to that of angry orchard hard cider or Reds apple. I like the sweeter taste. Any thoughts?

I think my super simple recipe comes pretty close to a redds, angry orchard has a little more acidic bite, so I've added an oz. of lactic acid to the keg if I want it a little crisper.

6 gal Motts 100% apple juice (basic kind not the organic type)
wyeast American Ale II
ferment 7-14 days at about 70 degrees.

I usually make this after having just racked an ale from a primary to the keg, so I'm just pitching on top of the trub left over from a light pale ale. I'd use fresh yeast if it was an IPA.

works great with artificial flavorings like blueberry extract or raspberry extract. Very active fermentation for first 2 days, be ready with a blowoff tube.

Bb89,stone fruit flavors compliment apples very well.My personal favorite is apricot-apple or apple-apricot cider. I know there are lots of natural flavorings available to be used when brewing or cidering, but Brew Craft is my hands down favorite for apricot flavoring. To me, many of the others flavoring brands may smell like apricots, but they don't taste like apricots in solution. After bottling (if much time passes) the strength of both the apple and the apricot flavors will increase; maybe not much difference between one day and one month, but between one month and six months the flavors definitely improve.
Wyeast Sweet Mead Yeast (4184) makes fantastic hard cider, apple wine, ice cider and applejack too. When fermented at less than 60*F, 4184 throws off apricot, peach, and other stone fruit flavors when using pure apple must. 4184 is now the only yeast I use for apple-based beverages.

Do you need to stop fermentation early or back sweeten with 4184?

My beer life is complex enough, I'm hoping to find a really easy way to make a quality semi-sweet cider now and then.

Back